Zscaler (NASDAQ: ZS) accelerates digital transformation so that customers can be more agile, efficient, resilient, and secure. The Zscaler Zero Trust Exchange is the company’s cloud-native platform that protects thousands of customers from cyberattacks and data loss by securely connecting users, devices, and applications in any location.
With more than 10 years of experience developing, operating, and scaling the cloud, Zscaler serves thousands of enterprise customers around the world, including 450 of the Forbes Global 2000 organizations. In addition to protecting customers from damaging threats, such as ransomware and data exfiltration, it helps them slash costs, reduce complexity, and improve the user experience by eliminating stacks of latency-creating gateway appliances.
Zscaler was founded in 2007 with a mission to make the cloud a safe place to do business and a more enjoyable experience for enterprise users. Zscaler’s purpose-built security platform puts a company’s defenses and controls where the connections occur—the internet—so that every connection is fast and secure, no matter how or where users connect or where their applications and workloads reside.
About the role
Zscaler is looking for a Director of Software Engineering to lead a new software development team in Cyber Risk and drive the development of data and business intelligence platforms for identifying, classifying, remediating, and mitigating security vulnerabilities in all Zscalers products and clouds.
Our mission is to build highly-available and performant distributed systems, capable of collecting information from millions of hardware and software assets, and to provide our security teams with the ability to query and act on vulnerability-related information.
As Director of Software Engineering, you will bootstrap a development team responsible for designing, coding and maintaining such innovative data platforms. You will be responsible for hiring and retaining the best security talent around, growing your team and the people on it, and helping guide the technical direction.
What you will do
- Develop the long-term vision for the owned engineer platforms, including vulnerability scanning platforms, data transport and analytics, and business intelligence.
- Drive design and implementation of innovative distributed software platforms for continuous assessment of threats and vulnerabilities, risk and policy compliance across Zscaler software and hardware assets, in private and public clouds.
- Lead development teams following Agile methodologies.
- Drive and maintain a high bar for engineering excellence to support 4-9s. availability 24/7, including driving investigations to determine root cause and implement solutions.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to solve security problems with minimal disruption to other business functions.
- Hire, train and assess the performance of direct reports according to corporate policies and procedures.
- Assist in the growth of employees through coaching, training and career development activities.
- Interact with industry experts, vendors, partners, internal staff and auditors.
- Work effectively as part of a geographically distributed team.
- Occasional travel is required (domestic and international).
- Technical experience. 10+ years of experience in software development, including 5+ years of experience in IaaS/PaaS development at scale on public clouds (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Management experience. 5+ years of direct people management experience, with at least 5 direct reports. Experience leading and growing teams in a remote-working environment leveraging Agile practices (leading cross-functional teams is a plus).
- Data engineering and distributed systems. Expertise in designing, implementing and operating data engineering platforms and web services, including schema management, transport (Kafka, SQS), warehousing and storage (AWS Redshift, AuroraDB, MySQL, Postgres), processing (streaming and batch ETL/ELT pipelines, Kinesis, Airflow, Spring batch), analytics (Spark, Hadoop, BigQuery, Databricks, Snowflake), and business intelligence reports (Tableau, QuickSight).
- Performant design at scale. Proven track of designing and operating applications at scale (e.g., running on millions of endpoints, handling billion transactions/seconds, millisecond optimizations), in autonomous and self-recoverable frameworks.
- Engineering excellence. Demonstrated focus on automation and streamlined engineering efficiency, supporting applications with over 99.9% availability and full-service ownership with 24/7 on-call support.
- Software design and programming. Demonstrated expertise in leading technical strategy and architectures, including strong knowledge in system design and proficiency in reviewing and providing guidance in at least one of the following programming languages: Java, Python, Scala, Golang, Rust.
- Secure development. Strong fundamentals in building secure applications, including secure software development lifecycle, authentication/authorization principles, secure data management and remediating security defects in owned applications.
- AWS experience, including demonstrated track record of building applications leveraging AWS-native data engineering technologies.
- Experience in managing cross-functional teams, including software developers, devops, operations.
- Experience with building security platforms and/or supporting product security or vulnerability management functions. This includes management of security tools for static code analysis, vulnerability and malware detection, endpoint protection, software supply chain security.
- Zscaler is the world’s leading software-as-a-service security platform
- We deliver best of breed security services with unprecedented scale
- 300 Billion transactions scanned and 100 Million threats detected a day across 185+ countries
- Glassdoor rating of 4.7/5.0 + 98% CEO Approval = Exceptional place to work!
People who excel at Zscaler are smart, motivated, and share our values. Ask yourself: Do you want to team with the best talent in the industry? Do you want to work on disruptive technology? Do you thrive in a fluid work environment? Do you appreciate a company culture that enables individual and group success and celebrates achievement? If you said yes, we’d love to talk to you about joining our award-winning team.
Learn more at zscaler.com or follow us on Twitter @zscaler. Additional information about Zscaler (NASDAQ: ZS ) is available athttp://www.zscaler.com. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
By applying for this role, you adhere to applicable laws, regulations, and Zscaler policies, including those related to security and privacy standards and guidelines.
Zscaler is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical conditions), age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, or local laws.
See more information by clicking on the Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal link.
Zscaler complies with all applicable federal, state, and local pay transparency rules. For additional information about the federal requirements, click here.
Zscaler is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations or adjustments) in our recruiting processes for candidates who are differently abled, have long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support.