About the team
Are you looking for an opportunity to help millions of customers navigate one of the biggest life decisions they'll ever make? Zillow's mission is to give people the power to unlock life's next chapter. We work with Designers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and Researchers to solve complex engineering problems and build products that transform the real estate industry. Our Product Teams are tasked with finding solutions to bridge the gap between you and your next address by delivering end-to-end experiences for customers actively shopping, renting, touring, or financing their home. Our Teams are also working to solve difficult problems for real estate agents in the field by providing industry leading platforms and tooling.
We maintain our competitive edge by making data driven decisions that we evolve through rapid testing and iteration to ensure we are launching enjoyable experiences to the world’s largest online real estate marketplace. We are not done yet. Our goal is to achieve Zillow 2.0, which will deliver seamlessly comprehensive solutions for buyers, sellers, and agents transacting with all the services Zillow provides. And, we need your help to do it!
About the role
As a Senior Principal Data Architect you will lead data architecture practice and represent Data Engineering at the enterprise level. The Data Engineering (DE) team is building the new generation of a Data Platform to enable implementation of Data Mesh principles and drastically improve time to value for all engineers who work with data. This work requires proven expertise in big data combined with a never ending ability to learn and evolve your thinking.
You will facilitate cross-team collaboration for defining and building enterprise data management architecture from principals to tools, oversee cross-functional adoption of new architecture, and enable a new level of engineering efficiency when working with data.
You will get to:
- Defining enterprise data architecture for data platform
- Working with Platform team on building platform functionality and with data engineers on adoption of platform functionality
- Influencing and educating whole team on topics of modern data architecture
- Shape data lakehouse data models and bring it to performant physical models specifically tailored to chosen storage format and data tech stack
- Advance best DE architecture practices with focus on performance, scalability, security, enabling future capabilities and resilience. Drive and communicate architecture decisions across the Zillow Data Ecosystem.
- Create cohesive architecture practices across DE producing standard methodologies and reference architecture that the team can leverage.
- Create consensus and alignment on technology choices, data formats and data flows and provide guidance to teams on new technologies and future technical investments.
- Create alignment with product teams on technical vision and long term product vision.
- Represent the DE architecture in the Enterprise Architecture Group
This role has been categorized as a Remote position. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to the Company. Employees may live in any of the 50 US States, with limited exceptions. In certain cases, an employee in a remote-designated job may need to live in a specific region or time zone to support customers or clients as part of their role.
In California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York and Washington the standard base pay range for this role is $221,800.00 - $354,200.00 Annually. This base pay range is specific to California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York and Washington and may not be applicable to other locations.
In addition to a competitive base salary this position is also eligible for equity awards based on factors such as experience, performance and location. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location.
Who you are
- You have built data platforms and solutions, accumulated enough experience to know how to solve non-trivial challenges for a non-trivial business and how to shape enterprise data systems into a cohesive enterprise data management platform.
- You can demonstrate successful projects related to data systems at medium and large size companies in leading architecture roles
- Experience mentoring engineers and oversee project execution and delivery for adhering to blueprints and architecture principles.
- You are designing enterprise systems and processes that span org structures and levels, inspire with your strong and robust vision and technical leadership
- Previous experience leading technical organizations through change in leading data management practices to next level and enabling business to get data-rooted results
- You are a master of concepts, but you think in code. There is a wide array of proven tools in your toolbox - Spark, advanced Python, unlimited SQL, deep knowledge of data streaming, intimate understanding of data structures. You are native to cloud thinker, ready to demonstrate your ideas with prototypes and partner with data engineers on complex implementations, helping guide work and showcase architecture principles
- Ability to explain advanced concepts in simple to understand manner
- Strong partnership with Zillow Enterprise Architecture (ZGEA) group advocating for data management
- Able to balance multiple contending priorities in a fast-paced environment
Get to know us
Zillow is reimagining real estate to make home a reality for more and more people.
As the most-visited real estate website in the United States, Zillow® and its affiliates help movers find and win their home through digital solutions, first class partners, and easier buying, selling, financing and renting experiences. Millions of people visit Zillow Group sites every month to start their home search, and now they can rely on Zillow to help make it easier to move. The work we do helps people get home and no matter what job you're in, you will play a critical role in making home a reality for more and more people.
Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction are supported by a deep-rooted culture of innovation, our passion to redefine the employee experience, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability coverages as well as parental leave, family benefits, retirement contributions, and paid time off. We’re also setting the standard for work experiences of the future, where our employees are supported in doing their best work and living a flexible, well-balanced life. But don’t just take our word for it. Read recent reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: the 100 Best Companies to Work For, Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award, Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index, Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equity Index, and TIME 100 Most Influential Companies list.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at [email protected].
Applicants who receive job offers from Zillow Group will be asked to sign a Proprietary Rights Agreement which includes confidentiality, intellectual property assignment, customer and employee non-solicitation, and non-competition provisions. If you are contacted for a role at Zillow Group and wish to review a copy of the Proprietary Rights Agreement prior to receiving an offer, you may request a copy from your Recruiter.