The next big thing in data is you! We deliver the possibilities for data. You define what's possible.
We are seeking a highly motivated person with passion to innovate and help shape the future of data to join our Advance Analytics Office (AAO) team. Supporting the digital transformation at Western Digital, operations research (OR) solutions are developed to maximize the operations effectiveness of our systems and processes. As a senior OR engineer, you will provide optimization models, delivering business value to global functional teams working on production and capacity planning, scheduling, network, and system design domains. In this role, you will be key technical contributor in OR projects, collaborating with data science and OR experts, application developers and IT specialists to solve complex analytics and optimization problems, and release the solutions into real business application. You will interact with functional subject-matter experts to understand their analytics needs & requirements for OR modeling and solution delivery. If you think big and have a relentless drive to deliver and innovate, you will thrive as part of a passionate and dedicated team that is transforming the promise of data into a reality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operations Research Engineer, supporting optimization projects at global sites, primarily in the APAC (Asia Pacific) region.
- Collect information about the business problems, understand the related current practices and the desired solution.
- Collect analytical requirements from the business and translate and cast the business problem into analytical problem definition statements.
- Set up the mathematical model of the problem under study, with data I/O interfaces.
- Implement the mathematical model using declarative programming libraries, e.g., FICO Xpress or Google OR-Tools.
- Conduct numerical experiments with the model and present the results to the key project stakeholders.
- Support the go-live phase of the application, leveraging the math model in its core.
- Familiarity with industrial engineering concepts, WIP Management, Production Control.
- Good analytics skills in the context of factory optimization, leveraging OR techniques e.g., linear and integer programming, constraint programming
- Strong English verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills - adept at messaging domain and technical content, at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Experienced at understanding key performance levers and metrics to highlight operational issues and drive improvement.
- Ability to identify, define and execute project plans and develop modeling approaches suitable for the problem
- Ability to work on projects individually with minimal supervision
- Ability to break down complex problem and projects into manageable sub-tasks and sub-parts for executing rapid projects (10-12 weeks)
- Proven history supporting critical research and development projects, requiring in-depth analytical understanding of systems.
- MS in Applied Math, Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field
- 4+ years hands-on experience in optimization modeling and analysis
- Working knowledge of optimization tools (Gurobi, IBM ILOG CPLEX, FICO Xpress, Google OR-Tools)
- Hands-on programming skills in Python.
- Writing basic database queries for SQL platforms.
- PhD in Applied Math, Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field
- Knowledge of production/manufacturing related optimization problems and techniques (production planning, scheduling etc.)
- Experience in the semiconductors industry
- Strong abstraction skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders across different departments
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.