VPR Energy BV is part of the Vitol Group, a global leader in the energy and commodities sector.
Through its key operations in Houston, London, Singapore, Rotterdam – and with a further 40 offices worldwide – Vitol serves the world’s energy markets; trading some eight million barrels of crude oil and products every day. Vitol is invested in traditional and sustainable energy assets globally including 17mm3 of storage, 500+ kbpd of refining capacity and more than 7,000 service stations worldwide.
Located in the Europort-Rotterdam area, VPR Energy BV operates a (120 kbpd) highly efficient and flexible topping refinery capable of processing gas condensate and crude oil into naphtha, jet fuel, gasoil, and residual fuel; valuable products used as feedstock in the petrochemical industry or as energy to heat homes and fuel marine vessels.
The refinery is run by a relatively small team of highly engaged people with extensive knowledge and experience in processing, operations and logistics. Our people continue to build our reputation as a leading player in the energy markets through their creativity, commitment, professionalism and entrepreneurial spirit. VPR Energy is growing its business steadily and we are now looking for the next member to join our team.
The Data Scientist will act as an important support for the wider VPR performance team, using expertise to improve and enhance business activities. Core responsibilities include:
- Writing and implementing algorithms to extract, structure, and analyze data
- Applying existing software and tools, or developing new ones (including new data science methods and techniques) to transform unstructured, raw data into usable business information
- Translating insights obtained from data into concrete recommendations for business operations in written reports, dashboards or presentations
- Managing and enhancing data streams and analyses
- Automating tasks such as data collection
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in an analytical discipline (for example econometrics, quantitative finance or mathematics)
- 2 – 5 years of relevant working experience
- Strong database programming skills (such as Python and SQL) and an excellent knowledge of Excel
- Ability to convey complex analysis in a concise and understandable manner
- Likes to work in a dynamic environment
- A good command of the Dutch and/or English language
- Contribute directly to a large variety of projects
- Be part of a small and flat organization with lots of creative freedom
- Free in-house lunch, freshly prepared and catered daily
- Potential for travel to our Geneva and London office
- Competitive compensation and benefits package