Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
Principal Data Engineer
Are you interested in building world class B2B data solutions & products serving 6 markets, 50+ countries fueling growth? With tremendous amount of data there is a huge untapped potential to uncover insights, architect state of the art data platforms & cutting-edge application development. New Payment Flows, one of fastest growing area within Visa is seeking a Principal Data Engineer for Product Development team.
New Payment Flows (NPF) division’s charter is to capture new sources of money movement through card and non-card flows, including Visa Business Solutions, Government Solutions and Visa Direct which presents an enormous growth opportunity. Our team brings payment solutions and associated services to clients around the globe. Our global clients and partners deploy our solutions to serve the needs of Small Businesses, Middle Market Clients, Large Corporate Clients, Multi Nationals and Governments.
The Visa Business Solutions (VBS) and Visa Government Solutions (VGS) team is a world-class technology organization experiencing tremendous, double-digit growth as we expand products into new payment flows and continue to grow our core card solutions. This is an incredibly exciting team to join as we expand globally.
This position is for a Principal Data Engineer with solid Data System development experience, who will contribute to both strategic and tactic planning and execution to continuously advance commercial platform's vision and mission. In this position, you are expected to be a passionate and talented Data engineering expert and system architect that can work in a dynamic environment as a member of Agile Scrum teams.
You will be an integral part of the leadership team, setting up technical roadmap, introducing best practices, latest technology to the team, working with development managers and teams to identify and resolve technical challenges, and working with different products and teams in building data pipelines (batch & streaming), data products, AI and Platform capabilities.
Primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Collaborate with product and development teams to drive the technical roadmap and guide development and implementation of new data driven business solutions
- Drive technical standard and best practices, and continuously improve commercial data platform engineering & scalability.
- Architecture and design of commercial data platform & product capabilities including data processing batch and streaming engines, Data Lake, Machine Learning models, In Memory Computing Systems, Distributed Data Systems, Data Governance & Observability
- Bring in the best architecture and build highly available and scalable applications
- Participate in design and code review sessions as appropriate to ensure the quality of work in accordance with development standards
- Identify opportunities for future enhancements and refinements to standards, best practices, and development methodologies
- Contribute to development of product innovation
- Coaching and mentoring junior team members and evolving team talent pipeline
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office 2-3 set days a week (determined by leadership/site), with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% or more of the time based on business needs.
• 12+ years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 9 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6 years of work experience with a PhD, OR 15+ years of relevant work experience.
• BS or MS in computer science or related field
• 15+ years of System Development Experience
• Expert in leading-edge areas such as Batch, Stream Computing, In-Memory Computing.
• Expert in few of the following: Apache Spark, Streaming, Flink, Java, Python
• Expert in web service standards and related patterns (REST, gRPC)
• Expert in developing large scale, enterprise class distributed system or subsystems that require high availability, low-latency, & strong data consistency computing.
• Expert in architecting solutions with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery in mind
• Experience with Big Data and analytics in general leveraging technologies like Hadoop, Spark, and MapReduce
• Experience developing proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real-time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills and the ability to present complex ideas in a clear & concise way, to different audiences. A team player with good work ethics
• A background in the payment domain is a plus
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.