Viam is a software platform that makes it easy to turn great ideas into production-ready smart machines & robots at scale. Viam works with any hardware and has modern architecture, easy developer APIs, cloud connectivity and tools, and enterprise-grade security to give even the leanest teams the power to launch and manage their smart machine businesses.
Viam makes building, deploying, and monitoring smart machines a more flexible, affordable, and user-friendly experience, allowing developers to do more with smart machines while getting them to market faster. By making smart machines more accessible, Viam is attracting talent and investment to the industry so that more people start building automated products and services that improve our quality of life.
Senior Software Engineer, Data/Machine Learning (Backend)
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our New York based Data/ML team. The Data/ML team tackles interesting problems that span a wide range of technical challenges in machine learning, data storage, database optimization, cloud storage, API design, UI/UX and more.
You will have the opportunity to create solutions that can make it seamless for a user to use a smart machine, get data from that smart machine, and use that data to do something really interesting. Since data is so fundamental to all types of smart machines and use cases, we collaborate with different engineering teams, like SLAM or Computer Vision, to get the data from their components/service into Viam.
The current tech stack consists of Golang (backend), Python/TensorFlow (machine learning), TypeScript, Vue, Svelte, HTML (frontend).
In this role, you will:
- Write performant, reliable complex systems that allow our users to capture large amounts of data from their smart machines and robots to analyze or train machine learning models, then deploy those machine learning robots back to the fleet of robots.
- Design and implement data storage, querying, processing systems and developer friendly APIs.
- Collaborate across other teams and mentor junior engineers.
- Improve the experience of the data developer.
- Analyze performance and scale challenges, and solve them.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has experience designing and building distributed systems, database systems, compilers or other cloud data platforms.
- Has an affinity for sophisticated problems, and loves solving them with practical solutions.
- Believes in high-quality, tested, and well-documented code.
- Wants to work with physical hardware, but doesn’t necessarily have experience doing so.
- Has software engineering experience using languages, such as C/C++, Golang, Java, or Python.
- 100% covered medical/dental/vision insurance plans
- Competitive salary & equity packages (see below)
- Reproductive Health Benefits including Fertility Benefits and Abortion Access Travel Benefits
- 25 days paid vacation and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Citi Bike memberships
- Commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend to be used for a variety of fitness-related items like gym memberships, fitness classes, fitness equipment, apparel, and more
- Free lunch everyday that you’re in the office
- Paid parental leave
The starting salary for this role is between $157,000 - $224,000/year. Your exact offer will vary based on a number of factors including experience level, skillset, market location, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced, or more senior, than this job description as posted. In these situations, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate. In addition to cash compensation, Viam offers a comprehensive Total Rewards package that includes equity grants, health benefits, and more.