Machine Learning Researcher
Sep 10, 2023
Los Angeles, California, United States - Remote
Machine Learning Researcher
Make an Impact
If you are looking to help us reimagine the world, come join us:
VERSES wishes to engage Machine Learning Researchers or Engineers to join an exciting new group working at the cutting edge of ML research.
Specifically, your work will contribute to our company's vision to construct a globally coherent intelligent system designed around a structured data representation that emerges from the interaction of multiple independent intelligences operating on unstructured or heterogeneous data sources. Our guiding hypothesis is that this achievement would require developing a lingua intelligentia, and that the right theoretical framework under which to develop this is probabilistic inference.
Thus you will be specialist in one, or several, of the following broad topics: Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, ML Theory & Foundations, Unsupervised Learning & Generative Models and also have expertise specifically in probabilistic or Bayesian approaches to ML.
We are looking for a candidate with a track record of innovative research who has experience publishing in the top echelons of ML journals and conferences such as NeuIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, etc.
This unique position combines the benefits of working within an academic research driven environment, and you will be encouraged to collaborate widely and publish, with the benefits of the commercial sector including compute resources, appropriate remuneration and the ability to pursue the commercial impact of scientific innovations.
Essential Functions - a/k/a Your Mission
- Pursuing cutting edge ML research both independently and as part of a team.
- Developing ML theory, constructing ML implementations at scale and publishing papers.
- With a focus on: ML benchmarking, ML scaling, structure learning, message passing on factor graphs, and/or algorithm development
- Company will provide Source Materials including research, patents, white papers, presentations, illustrations, and reference examples and this role will review, comment, analyze and re-use for the project
- Distilling and presenting your work to our company leaders on a regular basis.
- This individual may work with others in the scientific or research community to assist them in their research.This role contributes to specific lines of development and innovation work, to help others who are accountable for product development to implement and operationalize research results
Great to Haves
- Demonstrated track record at publishing in top echelon ML venues such as NeuIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, etc on topics such Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, ML Theory & Foundations Unsupervised Learning & Generative Models
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field, with experience in computer science, data science, statistics and operations research
- Experience at the cutting edge of machine learning research
- Have knowledge of implementing AI systems at scales
- Knowledge of deploying ML services on the cloud, working with big data
- Ability to work within a team of both ML research scientists and engineers
- Sympathetic to Bayesian approaches in machine learning
- Must have a Masters degree, have a PhD or be pursuing doctoral studies.
- Experience with active inference and the free energy principle are a plus
- Experience in distributed ML a big plus
- You will have a background from academia, industry experience or a combination of both
- US Benefits
- Aside from being a culture of highly-engaged, collegial, and energized people, at VERSES, we offer:
- Global virtual work environment (although some positions may need to operate within specific time zones)
- Financial and Mental Health wellness programs
- Paid time off includes: responsible time off policy (RTO), sick time complying with all State and Federal guidelines, and of course... Company recognized Holidays!!
- Vested interest in developing and growing our people
- Generous total rewards package which includes equitable base pay, potential for bonuses, equities.
The pay range for our roles are market based and commensurate with skills and experience; with this role starting at $100,000-$150,000
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging:
At VERSES, we value diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at [email protected] to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. VERSES will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Recruitment Agencies or IT Outsourcing
Thank you for your interest in wanting to help out as a recruitment or IT outsourcing partner. We currently are not accepting additional help from external vendors. No agencies please.