Wood Mackenzie are the global research, analytics, and consultancy business powering the natural resources industry. For 50 years, we have been providing the quality data, analytics, and insights our customers rely on to inspire their decision making.
Our dedicated oil, gas & LNG, power & renewables, chemicals, metals & mining sector teams are located around the world and deliver a variety of projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies, and economic indicators such as market supply, demand, and price trends.
We have over 1,900 employees in 30 locations, serving customers in nearly 80 countries. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence to help our customers overcome the toughest challenges, and make strategic decisions that will, ultimately, accelerate the world’s transition to a more sustainable future.
We are looking for a Research Analyst to join our Lower 48 Upstream Research Team.
This role is uniquely positioned at the front lines of our Lower 48 upstream and commercial analysis. You will lean on strong analytical foundation to build views of productivity and costs for the most active unconventional plays in the Lower 48. Your analysis will underpin our asset, supply, and play analysis of one of the most dynamic oil and gas producing regions in the world.
US shale is a dynamic and constantly evolving sector, making for at times challenging but also highly gratifying work. You will leverage your network and data analysis to gather valuable insight and author reports which challenge conventional views. You will be able to present these views to a wide range of clients including national and major oil companies, operators, investment banks and institutional investors.
About the role
You will join a team of analysts and subject matter experts that produce views for the US Lower 48 and underpin our macro-level outlooks. You understand the central issues which impact the economic viability of unconventional plays and company developments. You will be adept at modeling subsurface and completions factors that influence the productivity of each play. You can speak technically to the economic drivers of a play and development.
You will be highly resourceful and call on a wide range of sources to feed into your analysis. You are comfortable and efficient at manipulating data. You will collaborate with analysts from our costs, corporate and commodities teams to develop a market story that is objective, integrated and data driven. You will leverage and build your external network, working closely with clients to identify emerging trends.
You will share your analysis through written research and regularly present these views to internal stakeholders and clients. With time you will also form and share opinions on a variety of sector topics as they relate to supply: corporate strategies, business environment, M&A deals, play economics, government energy policy and regional geopolitics.
You will be able to prioritize what matters to clients and the team, having regular interaction with senior business stakeholders. You will ensure that we embrace new technologies or techniques to improve data processes and workflow.
- Industry experience in upstream oil and gas, oilfield services, energy finance, strategy consulting with exposure to the Lower 48 unconventional industry
- An educational background in Engineering, Geosciences, Economics, or Finance
- Advanced analytical skills, curiosity, and a passion for upstream energy
- Excellent writing and synthesizing skills. You’re able to put together impactful analysis and create visuals conveying an interesting story, often working to tight deadlines
- Action-oriented and commercial mindset
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced work environment and with ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships with people at all levels in an organization
- Effective communication skills with an ability to clearly articulate a view along with the arguments and data that support it
- You are looking for a role where you can build and share your knowledge and learn from others in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment.
About you and how you can excel in this role
- You are passionate about upstream oil and gas with an educational background in Engineering or Geosciences. You have built an in-depth understanding of the energy sector in your current or previous roles in the sector. Preferably with first-hand experience on US unconventional plays.
- You have an analytical, commercial mindset and an eye for detail. You also understand the big picture, which enables you to analyze and form clear, coherent conclusions from a variety of data and information. You can demonstrate prior experience with economic modeling/forecasting and petroleum economics. In addition, prior experience with advanced data analysis in Excel, PowerQuery, Python, or R would be an advantage.
- You find it easy communicating complex or technical information and delivering messages that are easily understood. You thrive in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environments.
- You have a proven track record of fostering strong working relationships including coaching, influencing and developing others around you. The way in which you work is productive and driven, striving to be best in class. You often share ideas and find better ways of working.
- You excel in a fast-paced work environment and work effectively with ambiguity at times. You are looking for a role where you can build on your existing knowledge and learn from others. You also enjoy sharing what you have learnt with others.
WoodMackenzie is an equal opportunities employer.
We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to WoodMackenzie, including unsolicited resumes sent to a WoodMackenzie business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to WoodMackenzie employees, will be considered WoodMackenzie property. WoodMackenzie will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of unsolicited resume.
WoodMackenzie takes your data privacy seriously, please click here to view our privacy notices: Candidate Privacy Notice | Wood Mackenzie | Wood Mackenzie / Candidate Notice - California