Research Analyst - North America Power Service
Aug 31, 2023
Boston, MA, United States
Wood Mackenzie are the global research, analytics, and consultancy business powering the natural resources industry. For 50 years, we have been providing the quality data, analytics, and insights our customers rely on to inspire their decision making.
Our dedicated oil, gas & LNG, power & renewables, chemicals, metals & mining sector teams are located around the world and deliver a variety of projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies, and economic indicators such as market supply, demand, and price trends.
We have over 1,900 employees in 30 locations, serving customers in nearly 80 countries. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence to help our customers overcome the toughest challenges, and make strategic decisions that will, ultimately, accelerate the world’s transition to a more sustainable future.
The Research Analyst will help assist in the development and operation of models, databases and reports for our growing North America Power Service. These responsibilities will include collecting market information/intelligence, analyzing data to generate market insights, building analytical models to create market forecasts. The analyst will also be a point of contact between Wood Mackenzie and industry stakeholders and clients in the coverage area.
- Contribute to market research for Wood Mackenzie’s Long Term and Short Term Power Market Outlooks. The successful candidate will take ownership of a specific ISO, becoming the regional market expert.
- Own the development and improvement of Wood Mackenzie’s proprietary models that underpin the market coverage.
- Develop and maintain forecast models and data sets across verticals within the Energy Transition Practice.
- Provide high-quality client service to research subscribers through responding to inquiries, one-on-one conversations, and special events.
- Minimum 2 years of industry experience in the power sector.
- Quantitative background and degree (e.g., economics, finance, engineering).
- Required programming & software skills include: SQL Server, VBA, python (optional).
- Knowledge of the structure of wholesale power markets and their operation.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and interest in using both qualitative and quantitative methods to answer market questions.
- Superb communications skills, with demonstrated ability and comfort interacting with clients and industry stakeholders.
- An engaging and collaborative nature, capable of connecting with colleagues, clients and industry stakeholders in a wide range of professional settings.
- A deep intellectual curiosity about the power sector and wider business landscape.
- Superior writing skills
- Expected behaviours and capabilities:
- Effective communication
- Collaboration across boundaries and with customers
- Continuous improvement
- Planning and prioritization
- Acting with integrity
- We are a hybrid working company and the successful applicant will be expected to be physically present in the office at least 2 days per week to foster and contribute to a collaborative environment, but this may be subject to change in the future.
- The nature of this role precludes it from consideration for part-time or flexible working arrangements
- Due to the global nature of the team, a degree of flexible working will be required to accommodate different time zones.
Wood Mackenzie is a place where we are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment which encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
Wood Mackenzie values everyone’s contribution and helps them reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being.
Our core values are:
- Inclusive – we succeed together
- Trusting – we choose to trust each other
- Customer committed – we put customers at the heart of our decisions
- Future Focused – we accelerate change
- Curious – we turn knowledge into action
We understand the importance of bringing your whole self to work and to achieving balance between work, family and other life commitments. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements to enable the greatest spectrum of talent to contribute to Wood Mackenzie's success.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us: https://www.woodmac.com/careers/our-people/
WoodMackenzie takes your data privacy seriously, please click here to view our privacy notices: Candidate Privacy Notice | Wood Mackenzie | Wood Mackenzie / Candidate Notice - California