Join TuSimple and help change the way the world moves. Together we're making freight transportation safer, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly.
About the Role:
TuSimple is the self-driving technology company with a mission to bring automation to the trucking industry. Vehicle control modules are an integral part of the algorithm stack, with significant responsibilities in the execution of intended decisions and maneuvers while maintaining safety, stability, and efficiency of the autonomous truck. This Vehicle Control Research Engineer will help TuSimple improve motion control capability, simulation enhancement, and improve safety.
What You Will Do:
- Deliver high-quality and reliable code for control and estimation modules on autonomous driving trucks
- Develop the cutting edge optimal, robust, non-linear control algorithms for a complex system operating in challenging real-world scenarios
- Gain experience in system modeling and identification through cascaded models of plant components and their interactions, and data-driven methods
- Collaborate with other engineers to conduct system integration and tests.
Control Research Project Examples:
- Powertrain-level optimal longitudinal control for improved safety and efficiency.
- Optimal lateral control under different vehicle configurations and disturbances.
- Vehicle state and constraint estimation to support multiple chassis and powertrain characteristics.
- Joint development of vehicle control interfaces, feedback signals, and redundancies with our OEM and Tier-1 supplier partners for production-grade Level-4 operation.
- Develop simulation for complex truck dynamics with high fidelity model structure.
What You Will Need:
- Location: Ability to work from TuSimple’s San Diego Office three days a week is required for this role.
- Education: At least a Bachelor’s Degree is needed for this role.
- At least 4 years of directly related experience is required for this role.
- Product-quality code in C++ and/or Python.
- Knowledge and experience in advanced learning algorithms include deep learning, reinforcement learning, inverse reinforcement learning, GAN
- Knowledge and experience in convex optimization, non-linear optimization, stochastic optimization, Markov decision process, graphic search algorithm
- Experience in designing and building data pipelines.
What Will Set You Apart:
Masters or a PhD in Computer Science, Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Math/statistics or other related fields.
Autonomous Vehicle Industry Experience is highly preferred, but not required.
Advanced Driver Assisted Systems (ADAS) experience is also preferred.
Knowledge and experience in control methods is preferred including:
Model Predictive Control
Demonstrated ability to prototype and implement controllers on physical systems is preferred, too.
TuSimple is a global autonomous driving technology company headquartered in San Diego, California, with operations in the United States and Asia. Founded in 2015, TuSimple is developing a commercial-ready, fully autonomous (SAE Level 4) driving solution for long-haul heavy-duty trucks. TuSimple aims to transform the $4 trillion global truck freight industry through the company's leading AI technology, which makes it possible for trucks to drive safely autonomously, operate nearly continuously, and reduce fuel consumption by 10%+ relative to manually driven trucks. Global achievements include over 200 Patents, the world's first fully autonomous, 'driver-out' semi-truck run on open public roads in the U.S. and China, and development of the world's first Autonomous Freight Network (AFN).
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for your spouse or domestic partner, your dependents, and you
- Unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more available
- Monthly Gym Membership reimbursement
- Monthly team building budget
- Free Coursera Enterprise Account
- Annual Tuition Reimbursement
- Employer-paid life insurance, long, and short term disability
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.
Please note: Individual salaries will vary within the following range based on factors such as location, business needs and candidate's skills, education, and experience.