We’re on a mission to help every family leave their legacy with a fast, easy, and secure way to create, manage, and distribute their estate plan online. Since 2017, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of families plan for their future with a streamlined and intuitive approach that makes estate planning simple, affordable, and accessible. We’re backed by leading names in venture capital including Jackson Square Ventures, Link Ventures, Revolution’s Rise of the Rest, Halogen Ventures, and more.
If you would like to join us, we are looking for a Lead Data Engineer who will play a pivotal role in driving our data engineering efforts and building robust data solutions. It’s an exciting opportunity to build a data engineering and data science center of excellence from the ground floor.
- Embodies ownership in leadership; Holding yourself accountable for the vision, roadmap, communication strategy, impact on business outcomes and serving as an ambassador for Data Engineering efforts across the company
- Inspires the team towards ambitious goals and ensuring timely high-quality delivery
- Extensive experience in data engineering and a deep understanding of data architecture, ETL processes, and data warehousing
- Strong programming skills with proficiency in languages such as Python and SQL
- Experience designing and building scalable data pipelines and data processing frameworks
- Ability to build a long-term data strategy from scratch; starting with expanding the design of our foundational data models of our applications along with many other internal data sources ranging across CRM, Marketing, Partnerships, etc.
- Building the pipelines to serve analytics and reporting across the company, and then building a strategy from there to expand the data captured and sourced to power models over time that will drive our partner and member experiences
- Ability to develop a hiring strategy aligned with company budgets and business objectives; recruit, retain, lead, and mentor a team of data engineers, providing guidance and support to drive their professional growth
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to translate complex business requirements into scalable data solutions
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders
- Passion for leveraging data to drive business insights, decision-making, and create new differentiating market opportunities
About the Role:
- Leading and managing the data engineering team, providing technical guidance, mentoring, and fostering a collaborative environment
- Planning and executing projects, inspiring the team towards ambitious goals and creative solutions to meet them, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality software releases
- Designing, developing, and maintaining our data models, infrastructure and architecture to ensure scalability, reliability, and performance
- Developing and implementing data pipelines and workflows, ensuring the efficient extraction, transformation, and loading of data from various sources
- Develop clean, reliable, and well-structured data sets in support of machine learning models and to serve all stakeholder needs across the company
- Identifying opportunities to optimize and automate data processes, improving efficiency and data quality
- Implementing best practices for data governance, security, and compliance
- Staying up to date with the latest trends and advancements in data engineering and recommending new technologies and tools that can enhance our data capabilities
- Work across engineering to establish, coach and mentor best patterns and practices for data modeling and data repository platform decisions in our application development practice
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering or a related field
- 3+ experience in designing and implementing scalable data solutions
- 4+ experience with both SQL and No-SQL database platforms
- 2+ years experience leading and managing direct reports
- 2+ years experience with cloud-based data platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP), Infrastructure as Code, and related services
- 2+ years driving the vision, strategy and execution for large data projects
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, SQL
- Strong knowledge of data warehousing concepts and ETL processes, including experience with tooling such as FiveTran, Matillion, DBT, and Snowflake
- Familiarity with data processing frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop, or Airflow
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working in a tech company and/or high-growth startup
- Knowledge of advanced data engineering techniques such as stream processing, real-time data ingestion, or machine learning infrastructure
- Familiarity with data visualization tools and techniques
- Contributions to the data engineering community (open-source projects, blog posts, conference talks, etc.)
Full-time Employee Benefits & Perks:
- Our salary range for this position is $132k - $202k, in addition to compensation we also include an employee equity package as a component of our offer along with other benefits and perks outlined below. s and perks outlined below.
- Unlimited time off that you are encouraged to use
- Quarterly company-wide breaks (think Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall break)
- 1 PTO day a month to spend with friends, family, or however you choose
- 4 days/year to volunteer in your community
Health and Wellness Benefits
- Fantastic health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and generous parental leave
- Financial wellness benefits (Equity & tax advisory support, savings options, and employee-sponsored 401k)
- A informal mentorship program, guest speakers & reimbursement for learning opportunities
- Flexible work schedule + hours
- Family-friendly work environment. We support the complexity of a remote world with the needs of families
- Optional company-sponsored events and travel throughout the year
- $500 Work from home stipend + mac & Apple accessories
- Join an Inc. Magazine Best Workplace & Inc. 5000 winner!
About Trust & Will
We are a remote-first company, giving our employees the flexibility they need to work in an environment that best suits their needs. Our hiring process is also conducted virtually unless otherwise noted. We are a company that was founded in San Diego, CA, and offer a collaborative co-working space that is available for you to use if you'd like but not required. #LI-Remote
We have a commitment to building a healthy, sustainable, and engaging working environment for all employees, their families, and communities. In addition to our annual impact report, we are also in the process of becoming a B-Corp so we can continue to contribute positively to the world we live in and set an example for all employers.
Trust & Will's mission is to help every family leave their legacy through affordable, accessible estate planning. That starts with the people we hire and the ways in which we support the development of their unique talents and capabilities. We are committed to prioritizing ways to make our company and industry more inclusive. This means we must be revolutionary in the way we value diversity to revolutionize our business sector. At Trust & Will, everyone has a seat at the table and space to be their authentic selves because only in a company that is inclusive and diverse can we truly stand in our members' shoes.