Director of Machine Learning (GenAI)
Sep 01, 2023
Needham, Massachusetts, MA
We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
We are hiring a Director of Machine Learning for our Data Science and Machine Learning organization.
This is a leadership position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and implementation of machine learning systems that analyze reviews, photos, and other user generated content, help consumers plan their perfect trip, and apply the latest advances in Generative AI technologies across Tripadvisor. You bring experience spanning Data Science, Machine Learning and AI, software engineering, and team leadership. This role offers a great opportunity for professional growth with the world’s largest travel guidance company. You will have a unique opportunity of helping millions of travelers with personalized trip planning content, and travel guidance on Tripadvisor.com.
What You'll Do:
- Lead, develop, and mentor a team of ML managers and scientists.
- Drive decisions and work with multiple product and business teams to prioritize ML/AI initiatives in the areas of User Generated Content, Trip Planning, Computer Vision, NLP, and Generative AI.
- Push adoption of emerging and relevant approaches to solve ML and AI problems.
- Work with colleagues in Machine Learning, Analytics and Engineering to drive best practices in development, testing, and production deployment at scale.
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels across different functional teams.
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of overall Tripadvisor objectives.
- Your team will leverage data and advanced techniques to develop, implement and analyze predictive models that enable data-driven, strategic decision-making. This role requires expertise in a broad range of NLP, Computer Vision, Generative AI, Recommender systems and their application to business problems. A successful candidate will be organized, creative, and interested in creating practical scalable solutions to business problems using data and analytics. They will have the right mix of analytical, technical, and communication skills to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Skills & Experience:
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field.
- Demonstrated history of leadership in managing high impact machine learning and engineering projects.
- 5+ years of experience in managing and mentoring a team of ML scientists and managers.
- Knowledge of NLP, Computer Vision, practical experience with Deep Learning and Large Language Models.
- Proven track record in putting and managing critical Machine Learning services and production.
- Solid statistical knowledge and intuition, experience with A/B testing.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills coupled with strong business acumen, along with the ability to influence peer organizations and executives.
If you need a reasonable accommodation or support during the application or the recruiting process due to a medical condition or disability, please reach out to your individual recruiter or send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request. Please include the job requisition number in your message.