Lead Data Analyst - Accounting & Internal Controls
Aug 31, 2023
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Accounting Team
Our accounting team is a group of high-energy team members who thrive on producing accurate, timely financials while keeping things fun. No problem is too big for our team, we always work hard together to find a solution and get it done.
About the Role
As a Lead Data Analyst, you’ll work collaboratively and iteratively to translate business needs and opportunities into clear and insightful reports and dashboards. The ideal candidate has a passion for transforming raw data into useful information and will take pride in building a data-driven Accounting and Risk Management organization.
- Develop reports for Revenue Reporting, accounting, risk management and process control using Tableau/Looker, SQL, Excel, and other tools that access the company’s financial databases;
- Translate business needs and opportunities into clear, actionable insights across dashboards, scorecards, and ad-hoc analyses to guide business decisions and elevate organizational performance
- Summarize analytical results and effectively communicate with various levels of stakeholders;
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to ensure consistency in data definitions and sources.
- Take ownership of data-related problems and drive the resolution process.
- Partner with the Data Engineering team to drive revenue data set and development and develop data flowcharts;
- Oversee data governance, ensuring accuracy and completeness of data within reports and dashboards.
- Drive advancements in the Accounting and Risk Management reporting, data visualization and analysis capabilities.
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor's degree in Analytics, Information Systems, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, or related field and Minimum 6 years experience in data analytics or a directly related field.
- Strong SQL skills with proficiency in Tableau or Looker;
- Intermediate plus proficiency in MS Excel and PowerPoint;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage deadlines or unexpected changes in expectations or requirements
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment
- Self-motivated- able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically, a builders mindset
- Results oriented and delivery focused
Bonus points if you have
- Knowledge of general accounting principles;
- Experience working for a consumer tech company, marketplace a plus
- Experience within a public company environment
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
Benefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: [email protected].