Senior Data Scientist - Machine Learning Specialist
Sep 13, 2023
London, England, United Kingdom
Role purpose and overview
To help develop the Data Science capability at the Telegraph, partnering with Technology and stakeholders around the organisation to drive growth and commercial return. You will be responsible for helping deliver the Data Science project roadmap (e.g. search or article recommendations, subscription offer optimisation, ideal subscription pricing, image classification, building products to improve efficiencies across the Newsroom) whilst bringing best in class machine learning knowledge and techniques to the forefront.
Develop and implement data-driven solutions: use machine learning algorithms and other data science techniques to build models which solve business problems and inform decision-making.
Data analysis and visualisation: use statistical methods and tools to analyse large volumes of data, identify trends, and communicate insights to stakeholders.
Build and maintain data pipelines: design and implement data pipelines that enable efficient data processing and analysis.
Collaborate with stakeholders: work with cross-functional teams, including editorial, marketing, and product teams, to understand their data needs and provide solutions. Translate business problems into data solutions.
Stay informed about state-of-the-art technologies: stay up-to-date with the latest developments in deep learning and NLP in particular and bring innovative ideas and techniques to the team.
Experimentation and prototyping: work on experimental projects and prototype new solutions.
Manage projects: from start to finish, including scoping, planning, and execution. Deliver end to end solutions from POC through to fully operational delivery.
Ensure data privacy and security: make sure data is handled securely and in compliance with data privacy regulations.
Collaborate with the wider Insight & Analytics functions to help share and co-ordinate knowledge across the business.
Mentor junior team members: provide guidance and mentorship to junior team members to help them develop their skills and reach their full potential.
Essential skills required for the role
Considerable experience in machine learning, including experience in delivering in-house machine learning solutions within an organisation.
- Extensive experience of Python programming and of the following libraries in particular: pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn and TensorFlow or other deep learning frameworks.
- Advanced SQL knowledge and practice (preferably BigQuery).
- Ability to navigate and manipulate file systems, run scripts, and execute commands using the Unix command line interface.
- Use of Git to manage source code, track changes, collaborate with others, and deploy code to production environments.
- Google Looker or equivalent.
- Python libraries Matplotlib, seaborn, etc.
Expert Machine learning knowledge and experience:
- Masters in Data Science/Machine Learning or similar qualifications.
- Master the machine-learning end-to-end process: data gathering, exploratory data analysis, model testing, tuning, training, deployment in production and prediction process monitoring.
- In-depth understanding of traditional algorithms and their hyperparameters.
- Expertise in deep learning, especially for NLP and time series applications. In particular: knowledge of deep learning architectures such as convolutional neural networks (CNNs), recurrent neural networks (RNNs), and transformer models (especially LLMs).
- Experience in designing and developing recommender systems to enhance user engagement and drive subscription-based growth.
Data platform experience:
- Required experience in developing production-ready Python scripts including data inputs, pre-processing, getting predictions from trained machine learning models and outputs.
- Hands-on experience with cloud platforms (preferably Google Cloud) and in particular BigQuery, Cloud Functions, Storage, Scheduler and Vertex AI.
Interpersonal skills: exceptional relationship-building skills both with direct team members and stakeholders; with an ability to explain complex technical problems to a business audience.
Other essential skills: project management, analytical thinking, problem solving, curiosity, innovation, business-focused and proactivity.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Previous experience of working for a Publisher/Media group is desirable.
- Experience of working with web data (volumes, imperfections).
- Kubernetes, Docker, Flask or equivalent, html knowledge.
- Object oriented programming.
- Practical experience in using open source pre-trained Large Language Models.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.