We're looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Cloud Storage Product Area, particularly the squad owning Object Storage at large. Core Infrastructure’s goal is to provide world-class cloud-native infrastructure to Spotify’s engineers. The Storage Product Area’s mission is to build a scalable storage platform that enables Spotify engineers to focus more on creating valuable features for Spotify’s listeners and creators and less on storage technologies. Over the next few years you’ll be pivotal in improving customer experience, optimizing storage at planet-size scale, standardizing our tools and measuring the health of our fleet. You will directly support our efforts to improve profitability by creating an internal platform-as-a-service (PaaS).
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with our team and key internal partners to resolve how to design scalable data pipelines and APIs that run on Google Cloud Platform.
- Architect, develop, and operate Scala, Python or Java data pipelines supporting internal teams to work efficiently.
- Be a technical leader, mentor, and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers to identify and solve exciting problems, to successfully scale our automation and marketing efforts through efficient internal tooling.
- Participate in the Spotify-wide data engineering community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Take operational responsibility for the pipelines and services that are owned by your team, including taking part in an on-call rotation.
- Take innovation to the next level during company-wide hack weeks and innovate.
Who You Are
- You demonstrate writing impactful, idiomatic Scala, Python or Java data pipelines and a strong understanding of systems design, data structures and algorithms.
- You can write data processing workflows on frameworks like Apache Beam, Spark or Hadoop. You have worked with GCP’s or AWS’ ETL suites like GCP’s BigQuery, Dataflow or AWS’ Athena, Snowflake, Redshift.
- You are proficient in writing Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC), preferably using Terraform, AWS’ CloudFormation or AWS’ CDK. You understand the basics of deploying applications to Kubernetes.
- You have experience with breaking down complex technical problems into small, achievable pieces and iterating quickly in a startup-like environment.
- You’ve shipped high-impact code and have shown the ability to pragmatically take solutions from ideation to production. Specifically, you have directly contributed to the creation of data platforms or developer experiences.
- Spotify celebrates T shaped engineers. You should be comfortable stepping into other domains such as Java Services and Data Science
Where You'll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration.
The United States base range for this position is $156,275 - $223,250, plus equity. The benefits available for this position include health insurance, six month paid parental leave, 401(k) retirement plan, 23 paid days off, 13 paid flexible holidays, paid sick leave. This range encompasses multiple levels. Leveling is determined during the interview process. Placement in a level depends on relevant work history and interview performance.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service.