At Snorkel AI, we’re redefining how people and organizations build AI applications. Snorkel started as a research project in the Stanford AI Lab in 2016, creating a higher-level interface to machine learning through programmatically labeled and managed training data. From deploying in some of the world’s largest and most sophisticated tech organizations, to empowering scientists, doctors, and journalists — we’ve seen firsthand how this approach democratizes and accelerates AI. Now, we’re building Snorkel Flow to bring our technology to everyone!
Excited to help us redefine how AI applications are built? Apply to be the newest Snorkeler!
As an Applied Research Scientist, you will innovate and translate cutting edge research into user experiences. If you find yourself thinking about any of these questions:
- How to prompt a model like GPT-4 effectively?
- How to build a foundation model for a specific domain like medical records?
- How to use models like LayoutLM V3 for weakly labeling documents at scale?
- How to blend prompt engineering, retrieval augmentation, and fine-tuning to customize models with the least human time and effort?
We would love to hear from you! More broadly you will work on supervision (self-supervised, semi-supervised, weakly supervised etc) and representation learning methods which result in practical tooling for building and maintaining state-of-the-art machine learning models at scale.
- Establish and empirically demonstrate the state-of-the-art approaches for data-centric model iteration and analysis
- Prototype end-to-end workflows with novel techniques and algorithms, synthesize results, and help to transfer learnings into Snorkel products
- Work closely with design partners to validate your work on real-world use cases with measurable impact
- Contribute to novel research on topics of interest to Snorkel AI by collaborating with other Snorkel Research scientists and affiliate scientists (academic, government, and industry researchers)
- Work a hybrid schedule with one or two days per week in our Redwood City HQ and work remotely with "No Meeting" Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Broad expertise and understanding of AI, NLP, LLM, and generative AI trends.
- Experience prototyping, experimenting, and testing with large scale datasets and training deep models.
- Experience with standard machine learning frameworks and tools (NumPy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Pytorch, TensorFlow, etc.) and machine learning cloud infrastructure and accelerators (AWS, Google Cloud, GPUs and TPUs).
- Strong technical communication skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with developing robust software with excellent coding hygiene and modular design.
- The position involves working with problems with no off-the-shelf solutions and requires innovation on-the-fly. Typically a Ph.D. in machine learning or a related area with good publication history would be a good fit for this position. We would also love to hear from people with similar skill sets acquired through other career paths.
We encourage applications from candidates who believe they satisfy many of the preferred qualifications, even if they do not satisfy all.
The salary range for our Tier 1 locations of San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles & New York is $190,000.00 - $240,000.00.
Be Your Best At Snorkel
Snorkel AI is on a mission to make machine learning practical for everyone, and it starts with building a team that welcomes, represents and gives opportunity to all. We work at the frontier of AI and software engineering, and believe that underrepresented communities need to play a part in shaping the future of these fields. At Snorkel AI, we actively work to create an environment that values end-to-end ownership, diverse forms of impact, and opportunities for personal growth.
Snorkelers are supported by an amazing team and an amazing set of benefits. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for Snorkelers and their families, plus a yearly wellness stipend. Our 401k program lets Snorkelers plan for their future and our parental leave program lets new parents take up to 20 weeks of paid time off. Learn more about these benefits and more — like our workstation setup allowance — on our Careers page.
Snorkel AI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Snorkel AI embraces diversity and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Snorkel AI prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, performance, merit, and business need.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.