Data Scientist, Infrastructure Foundation
Sep 11, 2023
San Mateo, CA, United States
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed, frequency and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers.
WHY INFRA FOUNDATION?
Our company goal is to reach 1 Billion users with optimism and civility, and you can't reach 1B users without building some scalable systems. As the first Data Scientist in the Infrastructure organization, you will play a critical role in helping scale our platform toward the goal.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity to find new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Operations Research or other relevant fields.
- Excellent speaker and listener. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and lead spirited discussions about the findings. You can explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- An expert in data transformation and programming, using languages such as Python, R, and SQL. You are experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data using big data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- An expert in data and applied methodologies. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day. You use the latest techniques to extract value and lead insights for Infra topics. Can develop models to draw insights from data.
- Measure, analyze and forecast Roblox's infrastructure capacity, footprint and resource utilization, for both on-premise data centers and public cloud.
- Develop an understanding of Roblox's Infrastructure cost-to-serve including areas such as CDN, networking, Software
- Closely collaborate with Finance FP&A and key stakeholders across Roblox to help teams understand, plan and manage their costs.
- Apply data-driven analysis to identify infrastructure efficiency programs to improve overall Roblox infrastructure footprint.
- Build smart alerting algorithms and automate root cause detection as much as possible.
- Access raw data, and then transform it, analyze it, and render it in a compelling way--all using a custom analytics tool kit built from state-of-the-art open-source libraries.
- Report to the Senior Manager, Roblox Data Science & Analytics.
- Advanced Degree and/or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Economics, Engineering or other related quantitative fields
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience with a background in infrastructure cost-to-serve, capacity planning, etc.
- Strong data engineering experience. e.g. telemetry logging, data pipeline building, dashboard design
- Demonstrated ability to drive an area as an individual contributor
- Ability to apply creative first-principles reasoning to solve ambiguous problems
- Skills in analytics results and data storytelling to influence engineering teams and leaders
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
Industry-leading compensation package
Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
A rewarding 401k program
Flexible vacation policy
Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
At Roblox HQ:
Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.