Remote Ruby on Rails Engineer with Shopify App Experience
Feb 08, 2024
👋 Howdy! Stuart here, founder and Head of Engineering at Rivo!
- Are you a Full-Stack Rails engineer with 5+ years of experience?
- Interested in working on the bleeding edge of what Rails has to offer when it comes to new features and developments (Rails 7 & Hotwire)?
- Would building and scaling a fast-growing SaaS company while sticking to Rails best practices fire you up?
If so, awesome! Keep reading!
About the job
With the help of our small team, (and some awesome team members at Thoughtbot), we've built an amazing platform on Rails that has scaled wonderfully so far.
To give a small indication, we process roughly 20-30M Sidekiq Jobs per day and are adding 8-10M db rows per day.
Your job is to help us scale as a Full-Stack Rails Engineer.
_This is a remote, full-time role (40+ hours/week).
How Are We Different?
We might lose you here :)
We believe in writing Rails in a particular style, sticking close to standardrb and general Rails best practices.
If a feature takes our competitors 8 weeks to build, we build a solid MVP in 8-10 days. We utilize the 80/20 principle to focus on what matters and just ship. Of course, we look at the usage metrics, then come back and complete the other 20% over time.
If this sounds like your style, we'd love to chat!
Who you are
- You’re self-driven and work autonomously with limited guidance
- You can operate in a high-octane environment
- You utilize the Pareto Principle (80/20)
- You prefer async meetings and moving fast
- You have a profound passion for Rails best practice
What will you be responsible for
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand and optimize products
- Design and architect scalable and maintainable Ruby on Rails applications
- Write high-quality, clean, and viable code following best practices and design patterns and implement new features and functionalities within the existing applications
- Write and maintain unit tests, integration tests, and end-to-end tests to ensure the reliability of the application
- Perform debugging and troubleshooting to identify and fix issues promptly
- Collaborate with teams to ensure smooth deployment and continuous integration processes and participate in configuring and maintaining the deployment pipeline and monitoring systems
- 5+ years of professional software development experience with Ruby / Ruby on Rails
- Having experience in the Shopify ecosystem, particularly the shopify_app and shopify_api gems are a HUGE plus
- In-depth knowledge of database systems, particularly relational databases (e.g., Postgres, Sidekiq and Redis)
- The ability to adjust to our high-octane workflow. One of our core values is to create what works in its simplest form and iterate based on metrics and feedback. We don't have long release cycles 🤗
- The ability to work in EST or PDT timezone, or at least overlap by 5 hours
- Ability to write efficient and optimized code, following best practices and design patterns
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities to tackle complex technical challenges
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and other engineers
Things we love ❤️
- Living by our SPEED core values of Speed, Pareto Principle, Evidence-Based, End Results, and Disrupt.
- Helping our users succeed and generate real ROI from our software
- Having a stress-free work environment
- Being a 100% remote & 100% global team
Things we avoid 🤮
- Egos & Drama
- Wasting time
Salary is negotiable and based on experience. Everyone should earn what they feel is fair. This is a remote, full-time role (40+ hours/week).
Does this sound like you would be a good fit? Please complete the application form and we'll be in touch!