Your work will change lives. Including your own.
About Valence Labs
Valence Labs is a research and productization engine within Recursion dedicated to advancing the frontier of AI in drug discovery. Combining the intellectual freedom of academia with the resources and stability of industry, we develop novel AI technologies to spearhead a fundamental shift in the way we discover and develop treatments for complex disease. Our research is driven by optimism, purpose, and a shared vision for a healthier tomorrow. We publish in top journals and conferences, are deeply committed to open-science and open-source, and maintain some of the largest and most active research communities in our industry. Our team is headquartered in Montreal, where we share close connections with Mila, the world’s largest deep learning research institute.
About the role
We’re seeking an experienced Research Scientist to pursue bold and high-risk research endeavors supporting our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives. We're looking for individuals who possess the ability to own, pursue, and clearly communicate a research agenda, including carrying out long-running projects independently or in a team. This multifaceted role combines the need for a deep understanding of state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms, exceptional problem solving and engineering skills, and experience in the computational life sciences. In this role, you will:
- Join one of Valence Labs' Research Units, driving ambitious frontier research within the domain of ML for drug discovery.
- Lead new research projects at the intersection of ML and drug discovery, leveraging your extensive expertise to devise, evaluate, and help deploy innovative and field-leading ML solutions.
- Collaborate with researchers and engineers both internally and externally to identify unique challenges and opportunities for ML in drug discovery.
- Work in a highly supportive, interdisciplinary environment, providing the intellectual freedom of academia with the resources and stability of industry.
- Present and communicate research findings through talks, blog posts, publications, and conferences.
- PhD (or equivalent) with significant academic or industry research experience in a related technical field involving machine learning.
- A proven track record of impactful machine learning research, including designing new architectures, proposing new theories, improving upon existing ideas, and applying ML techniques to real-world problems.
- Strong technical and engineering skills, including ability to rapidly prototype ML solutions.
- Comfort working cross-functionally with interdisciplinary teams of dry and wet lab scientists.
- Experience in project supervision, leadership, or management, including lead authorship in publications at peer-reviewed conferences (e.g., NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, or similar) and/or journals.
Nice to have:
- Scientific knowledge of biology, chemistry, or physics, along with previous experience working in a scientific environment across disciplines.
At Valence Labs, we foster an inclusive and diverse work environment. Join our multidisciplinary team of passionate researchers, eager to push the boundaries of ML research and contribute to technology that will transform drug discovery and human health.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.