Raft is the intelligent logistics platform that’s rewriting the technology playbook for freight forwarders and customs brokers in the automation era. A dynamic UK-based technology company with a global impact across logistics, we’re searching for a Machine Learning Research Engineer who is excited by the prospect of working in a rapidly growing international scale-up. We have significant runway thanks to our most recent Series B funding, which we raised from some of the best investors in the space: Eight Roads (Alibaba, Spendesk, Toast), Bessemer Venture Partners (LinkedIn, Twilio, Shopify), Episode 1 (Zoopla, Betfair, Shazam) and Dynamo Ventures (Sennder, Stord, Gatik).
As an ML Research Engineer, you'll directly work with internal ML teams, working on researching and applying machine learning models to business problems. You’ll be involved in reading research papers, going over open-source code, iterating over algorithms and applying them to business use-cases.
**Day to Day you will engage in:
- Implementing and evaluating algorithms - acting as a key contributor to the development and iteration throughout the research cycle.
- Digesting and understanding complex research papers, theory and practice.
- Owning, reporting, and presenting (verbally and in writing) engineering developments and experimental results to both intermediate and broader teams.
- Cleaning and understanding data.
- Collaborating with other ML engineers and product managers to understand our goals, ideas, and current limitations in our product and discussing ideas on how to address them
We're specifically looking for someone who:
- Has experience in repeatedly solving real-world problems with ML research approaches
- Is proficient in implementing modern and traditional ML approaches in Python, ideally using PyTorch.
- Is comfortable finding their way around complex codebases and algorithms – e.g modifying open source code to suit our use-cases
- Has a good understanding of ML fundamentals and is proficient in natural language processing.
- Has experience running structured experiments, defining suitable metrics, and optimizing parameters.
- Has a creative mindset in applying research approaches to real world problems.
- Has the ability to handle ambiguity, and incomplete requirements.
- It would also be good to have the following experience:
- Some knowledge of databases and how to interact with them like SQLAlchemy, Postgres, MongoDB.
- Up-to-date with current developments in research engineering like LoRA, PEFT, etc.
Apply because you want to...
- Have the opportunity to work in a global market and compete with best in class companies who are on the front line of Machine Learning and Engineering developments
- Work in a modern Product-led company where your contributions are valued and have real-world impact
- Get exposure to working with stakeholders on a global level across different industries
- Work in a tech, fast-paced and challenging environment that provides opportunities for professional and personal growth
- Work in a diverse and multicultural environment
Raft is an Equal Employment Opportunity and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, gender identity or any other category protected by applicable law. We hire and promote individuals solely on the basis of qualifications for the job to be filled