Director of Machine Learning and Data Science - Battery Storage
Nov 10, 2023
Plus Power is an energy storage market leader, with a market-leading 10+ GW portfolio across more than 25 US states and Canadian provinces that will transform North American electric grids into cleaner and more versatile critical infrastructure.
Standalone energy storage is rapidly transforming the North American energy markets, because it is cheaper than new natural gas plants, faster to build than fossil peakers or transmission, and able to perform diverse energy services. Plus Power partners with electricity system operators, utilities, and investors to originate, develop, finance, own and operate standalone energy storage projects that provide critical services to the wholesale electric market. Plus Power’s team applies an intentional mindset to energy storage development by using a data-driven approach to development and operations.
At Plus Power, we are focused on solving hard climate problems, profitably. We are growing fast, and value candidates who, like us, share a focus on setting high expectations, owning and learning from mistakes in the spirit of radical transparency, and are committed to internal partnering as a key element of our ideas meritocracy. Our team praises Plus Power’s culture and excels through our game-changing mission and supportive ecosystem.
About the Role
Plus Power recruits outstanding energy industry professionals who are driven to develop, build and operate assets safely and reliably to decarbonize the power markets while growing their careers. Our team looks for data-driven and fact-based mindsets, engaging and collaborative behaviors, and personal growth-focused professionals.
In order for the global energy system to make the transition from a carbon-based grid, to a renewable energy grid, large scale energy storage must be introduced into the electricity system to balance intra-hour supply and demand. Energy storage is the enabler of high penetration variable renewable generation like solar and wind.
Plus Power is looking to hire a creative, driven and experienced team lead for data science and machine learning to join our growing team working on creating an intelligent software platform that provides real-time operation and monitoring of multiple energy storage assets.
- Lead and grow an outstanding data science and machine learning team
- Lead development and implementation of best-in-class algorithms applicable to algorithmic trading in US power marketplace
- Draw ideas and techniques from different areas such as reinforcement learning, deep learning, optimal control, and stochastic optimization to create high performance solutions applicable to Plus Power’s business challenges
- Implement end to end AI/ML solutions to derive business value
- Take responsibility for technical problem solving, including creatively meeting product objectives and developing best practices
- Mentor team members in their professional development and deepening their ML expertise
- Drive the development of best practices for scoping, building, validating, deploying, and monitoring ML models at Plus Power
- Design, develop and test production-ready code
- Collaborate with other data scientists, software engineers and other stakeholders to create state of the art intelligent software products for operating energy storage assets across different energy/power markets
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of a MSc degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Economics, or Engineering
- Ability to explain complex technical analysis in a simplified matter to the internal management team and/or external parties
- 7+ years of professional experience in ML engineering/data science/quantitative modeling or equivalent roles in a commercial setting
- 5+ years’ experience in developing production ready code in a commercial setting
- 3+ years’ experience leading and growing teams of data scientists and ML engineers
- Highly experienced with time series forecasting, optimization, deep learning, reinforcement learning, and stochastic optimization solutions for solving real world problems
- Highly experienced in developing and deploying machine learning models on cloud-based frameworks (e.g., AWS Sagemaker)
- Solid track record of delivering ML products in a business setting
- Experience leading and delivering projects under tight deadlines
- Experienced with agile software development techniques and tools
- Expertise with Python, Python-based optimization toolkits (CVXPY, Pyomo, GurobiPy, etc.), PyTorch, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, Airflow, AWS Sagemaker
- Understanding of energy markets and Locational Marginal Price (LMP) formation through experience in energy trading or quantitative modeling in the power sector is a significant plus
- Experience in quantitative modeling of risk in financial & engineering applications
- Ability to effectively collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders to enable development and continuous performance enhancement of best-in-class AI-driven solutions
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a cross-functional environment with both technical and non-technical team members
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
Compensation, Location, and Benefits
Highly competitive total compensation from one of North America’s leading energy storage developers, owners and operators. Flexible, work from home or hybrid work from Plus Power’s offices in San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, Seattle, and Palm Beach.
The expected salary range* for this position begins at $190,000. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range based on several factors including, but not limited to relevant experience, skills, qualifications, geographic labor market, and other factors consistent with applicable law. This position is also eligible to participate in our annual bonus program.
Plus Power offers a comprehensive benefits program, unlimited vacation, flexible remote work, educational assistance, parental leave, and a highly engaging company culture with opportunities for in-person connection and learning and growth.
Plus Power is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds can thrive. Plus Power is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
*This information is provided in accordance with applicable law.