Research Data Management Specialist - Public Health Sciences
Nov 15, 2023
College of Medicine
CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
CURRENT PENN STATE STUDENT (not employed previously at the university) and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
If you are NOT a current employee or student, please click “Apply” and complete the application process for external applicants.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- The Department of Public Health Sciences (DPHS) at Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, PA is seeking a Research Data Management Specialist to join its talented Data Management team. The Research Data Management Specialist will manage multiple datasets and corresponding documentation and collaborate with the research team (including other data management positions) to plan and implement data management procedures for multiple clinical research projects.
- This position is approved to be fully remote.
- Responsible for designing, testing, and maintaining data management applications and databases; developing data collection forms; creating and testing data quality checks; importing and exporting data; monitoring data quality; developing, executing, and distributing reports; and preparing manuals of operations procedure.
- Provide training to research staff on data quality procedures, complete data verification and validation, as well as evaluate data management systems for quality improvement and efficiency.
- Represent PHS Data Management during study team meetings, regularly informing project management of overall study data status and potential issues for resolution.
- Identify potential project risks and corresponding solutions to complex data management requests.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the Unit’s Manager.
- B.S. or higher in information science, statistics or social, behavioral, or health sciences with proven analytic skills, and/or relevant work experience in data management, data processing, and/or clinical research
- Proficient in REDCap, Zoom, and Microsoft Office Software (e.g., Teams) and readily adaptable to learning new software programs.
- Comfortable working remotely with a team located throughout the U.S.
- Ability to respond to emails, tickets, and/or phone calls in real-time during the DPHS core business hours (9:00 AM-3:00 PM EST)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a high level of responsiveness
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven ability to manage time effectively to manage multiple project timelines without losing sight of the high priority items
- Attention to detail and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to secure and maintain a reliable internet connection
Typical Education & Experience
2+ years related experience
Bachelor’s Degree or higher
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
This is a limited-term position funded for one year from date of hire, with possibility of refunding.
The following clearances must be successfully completed for this position:
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Background Check
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO IS THE LAW
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.