Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring Data Scientists to join our team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a relentless focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad and deep, spanning financial claims, clinical medical records, and rich product interaction data from our members. Connecting the dots across these datasets gives us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions and allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, and create a standout consumer experience.
About the role
Oscar is restructuring health care to make it easy, affordable, and seamless for consumers to access high value care. Oscar’s data team is focused on pushing our understanding of this complex landscape. Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad and deep, spanning financial claims, clinical medical records, and rich product interaction data from our members. Connecting the dots across these datasets gives us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions and allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, and create a standout consumer experience in our product. At Oscar, we are looking for bright and curious data minded individuals to join our team of 30+ researchers, data scientists, and analysts to leverage our efforts!
We are looking for several new Data team members to join us in a few of our work streams. By applying to this posting, you will be considered for a top-priority open position within the Data team; a specific role and manager will be determined during the hiring process based on the highest priority need.
Example areas you might work in are:
- helping determine what the best doctors are in service of our strategic goals
- working to understand the best ways we and our clients can engage members to improve outcomes
- identifying ways our in-house medical group can improve outcomes and reduce costs
You will report into a data science leader (Senior Data Scientist or above).
Oscar is a blended work culture where everyone, regardless of work type or location, feels connected to their teammates, our culture and our mission.
If you live within commutable distance to our New York City office (in Hudson Square), our Tempe office (off the 101 at University Ave), or our Los Angeles office (in Marina Del Rey), you will be expected to come into the office at least two days each week. Otherwise, this is a remote / work-from-home role.
You must reside in one of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, or Washington, D.C. Note, this list of states is subject to change. #LI-Remote
The base pay for this role is: $131,200 - $172,200 per year. You are also eligible for employee benefits, participation in Oscar’s unlimited vacation program, company equity grants, and annual performance bonuses.
You must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Oscar will not sponsor applicants for this role.
- Responsible for the creation, implementation, and maintenance of data pipelines. This includes ensuring the accuracy, reliability, and timeliness of data flow without significant manager oversight.
- Develop new models while maintaining and enhancing our existing capabilities. This involves regular model testing, validation, and refinement to ensure the models remain effective and up-to-date with the latest industry standards and practices while identifying new opportunities to extend functionality where appropriate.
- Develop advanced analytics and validation checks on data and statistical model outputs without significant manager oversight. This includes identifying potential issues, anomalies, or inconsistencies in the data, and implementing corrective measures to ensure the integrity of our models and analyses.
- Collaborate closely with data leaders and business teams to enhance overall data processes and establish analytical frameworks to answer ambiguous and broadly scoped questions. This involves understanding their needs and requirements, providing them with the necessary data support, and working together to develop strategies and solutions that improve our processes and outcomes.
- Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree and 3+ years of industry or educational experience in a technical field.
- 3+ years of work experience working with SQL, R, and/or Python to query, manipulate and analyze data
- 3+ years experience building data models and using more advanced analytics methods, including conducting in depth analysis, rather than simple descriptive analysis
- Master’s degree in a technical field
- Experience deploying a machine learning model in production
- Knowledge of standard machine learning methods
- Experience building dashboards
- Experience in the healthcare, insurance and/or finance industries
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives..
Final offer amounts, within the base pay set forth above, are determined by factors including your relevant skills, education, and experience.
Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including: medical, dental, and vision benefits, 11 paid holidays, paid sick time, paid parental leave, 401(k) plan participation, life and disability insurance, and paid wellness time and reimbursements.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.