We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our team within the Data and Analytics (D&A) Program. Working with a cross-functional team to develop the data architecture, models and integration services that provide a cross-cutting view of data from our many business domains to support the Member Services data strategy. Responsible for the data integration software and tools that extract key data from internal and external business systems and transform and load it to our data warehouse and analytics data environment.
Who you’ll work with
You will work collaboratively in a cross-functional agile Kanban team to bring new features and platform enhancements from conception to release by interacting with product owners, business analysts, consumers, and external product and development teams. Communicate and interact effectively with both technical and non-technical systems professionals, work independently and as a group on multiple work projects effectively.
What you’ll do
- Responsible for the completion of high quality, well designed, and well tested data pipelines and systems that make appropriate use of technology.
- Participate in new technology investigation and make recommendations for new technology as appropriate e.g. latest trends on Data Warehousing, Cloud Computing, Machine Learning / AI, etc.
- Assist the team in maintaining currency in technological trends and directions continually upgrading personal technical and IT related skills through research, education, and self-motivated technology experimentation.
- Contribute to troubleshooting, resolving of operational incidents/problems in both development and production environment as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll need
- Computer Science or Engineering degree
- Minimum 5 years development experience in a data domain
- Knowledge of current information systems and data engineering theories, concepts, and techniques.
- Understanding of data management/integration/warehousing patterns and platforms with experience implementing relational and multi-dimensional database structures using tools such as Microsoft SQL Server, Talend, Microsoft SSIS, or other equivalent ETL/ELT technology.
- Strong SQL skills and experience querying large, structured and unstructured, datasets from multiple sources.
- Strong software development experience using object-oriented programming patterns and designs
- Knowledge of Python is a plus
- Exposure to various software development methodologies and practices such as Test-Driven Development, Automation, Continuous Delivery, Containerization.
- Experience with the following technologies (or similar): Jira, GitHub, Jenkins, Nexus, UrbanCode
- Nice to have: SnowFlake or similar Cloud platform experience, DBT, Apache AirFlow, PowerBI, Automic/UC4
- Resourcefulness, creativity, good judgement, and ability to learn/pick up new things quickly.
What we’re offering
- Hybrid working environment
- Strong culture of innovation and experimentation with dedicated developer days to experiment with new and existing technologies to solve business problems
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
What we’re offering
Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
Competitive time off
Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
Accommodations are available upon request ([email protected]) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.