Data Science & Analytics Internships - Summer 2024
Nov 15, 2023
Universal City, CA, United States
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
In addition to all of our internships being paid, we will also offer the following for our Summer 2024 interns:
- Paid company holidays for full-time interns.
- Robust networking, learning and development opportunities.
- Financial assistance to offset expenses for transportation and housing may be available on a needs-based basis for eligible in-person interns. More details about eligibility for this assistance will be provided at the time of offer.
Summer 2024 Recruitment Timeline:
November 13 – December 8: Applications Open (may close early due to applicant volume)
Mid November – Late December: First round video interviews
Mid – Late January: Second round interviews
Late January – February: Selected candidates receive offers
Summer 2024 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: December 8th at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – applications could close earlier due to applicant volume!
- Program Dates: June 3 – August 9, 2024
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need.
- Format: Opportunities listed will require an intern to work from Universal City, CA 3-5 days per week.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
Fandango Data Operations: The data operations group are technical analysts and technical product managers that work with our data engineering team to oversee pipeline projects in our data warehouse. We gather requirements from various business stakeholders and translate those into technical specifications for the engineering team. Additionally, we oversee back end validation projects that effect our payments systems and financial reporting for all Fandango businesses. As a data operations intern, you will represent the team on at least one project, acting as a technical product manager. You will work with business stakeholders to build a list of requirements, write up an initiative and create user stories for the data engineering team. You will attend meetings with the various teams on the project (our projects tend to be collaborations across the company) and provide status updates to our project managers and team leads. You may also have an opportunity to dig into data issues if they arise. Because we work with many groups within Fandango, you will have an opportunity to work with leaders from our ticketing platform, Rotten Tomatoes, Vudu, Marketing, etc.
Fandango Advanced Analytics: As an analytics intern, you’ll get the opportunity to: leverage data to derive insight and influence business decisions. Partner with Product, Marketing, and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities. Build/maintain reports, dashboards, and metrics to monitor the performance of our products. Plan, execute, and present results of an R&D project related to data discovery, analysis, or machine learning in order to further BI & Analytics capabilities. Develop presentations on analysis and insights for business stakeholders. Be curious: Proactively look at data to come up with insights that can help drive growth.
Media Group HQ, Data Science: Our Data Science program is designed to provide interns with real-world experience working on projects on a typical Data Science environment, using state of the art tools and technologies, while gaining broad exposure to the media industry. Interns will acquire specific responsibilities, goals, and timelines aligned with the teams they are embedded in. Join us as we collaborate across our business to support and inform data-enhanced strategic decisions. As the intern, you’ll get to assist with research & development to inform new methodologies, implement predictive and inferential statistical and/or machine learning models, contribute to the development of tools and data pipelines, and develop interactive visualizations that communicate complex ideas.
Peacock Retention & Engagement: The primary focus of this role is to champion the intelligent use of data to inform strategic decision making. As part of the Peacock team, you will focus on the use of data to perform analysis and provide actionable insights. Some additional responsibilities include performing ad-hoc analysis to uncover insights into business performance, exploring numerous data sources to find actionable insights, and building dashboards to automate reporting in support of your analysis.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the entire duration of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Experience with Jira/Confluence is a plus.
- Experience and interest in data analysis and product management.
- Experience with either SQL or a statistical tool such as Python, R, SAS, Statistica, or Matlab.
- Working knowledge of at least two of the following programming languages: R, Python, Julia, Java, Scala or similar.
- Prior experience with Machine Learning and/or statistical modelling.
- Advanced working knowledge of statistics and its applications for inferential data analysis.
- Familiarity with Spark, Databricks and/or AWS.
- Experience with data visualization techniques and reporting tools like Tableau.
- Experience w/ Big Query / Google technology stack or similar.
The hourly rate for undergraduate student interns is $30.00
The hourly rate for graduate student interns is $35.00
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.