At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Data Science is at the heart of Lyft’s products and decision-making. As a member of the Science team, you will work in a dynamic environment, where we embrace moving quickly to build the world’s best transportation. Data Scientists take on a variety of problems ranging from shaping critical business decisions to building algorithms that power our internal and external products.
As a Data Scientist, Algorithms, on the Cost & Conversion Platform team, you will be working closely with other marketplace teams (pricing, dispatch, driver earnings) to improve Lyft’s marketplace efficiency by delivering accurate and reliable signals in dynamic marketplace conditions through modeling, optimization and experimentation. You will report to a Team Manager that manages multiple functions including Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Software Engineers and ML Software Engineers. We're looking for a motivated Data Scientist who is passionate about solving challenging problems with data and models, and is excited about working in a fast-paced, innovative and cross-functional environment where they will take on some of the most interesting and impactful problems in ridesharing.
- Partner with Engineers, Product Managers, and Business Partners to frame problems, both mathematically and within the business context
- Perform exploratory data analysis to gain a deeper understanding of the problem
- Develop and fit statistical, machine learning, or optimization models
- Write production model code; collaborate with Software Engineers to implement algorithms and models in production
- Design and implement both simulated and live experiments
- Analyze experimental and observational data; communicate findings; facilitate launch decisions
- Develop measurement methodologies to monitor the health of our products, as well as the impacts on user outcomes and marketplace outcomes
- Drive collaboration and coordination with cross-functional teams
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Operations Research, Optimization, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields or related work experience
- 4+ years professional experience in a technology company setting involving a product
- Proven experience with building and evaluating machine learning models
- Proficiency with Python and working in a production coding environment
- Passion for solving unstructured and non-standard mathematical problems
- End-to-end experience with data, including querying, aggregation, analysis, and visualization
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to collaborate and communicate with others to solve a problem
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Starting in September 2023, this role will be in-office on a hybrid schedule — Team Members will be expected to work in the office 3 days per week on Mondays, Thursdays and a team-specific third day. Additionally, hybrid roles have the flexibility to work from anywhere for up to 4 weeks per year.
The expected range of pay for this position in the San Francisco area is $162,000 - $180,000. Salary ranges are dependent on a variety of factors, including qualifications, experience and geographic location. Range is not inclusive of potential equity offering, bonus or benefits. Your recruiter can share more information about the salary range specific to your working location and other factors during the hiring process.