LearnUpon is looking for a Senior Data Engineering Manager to join our team in Dublin or Belgrade.
LearnUpon LMS helps organizations train their employees, partners, and customers. Businesses can manage, track, and achieve their unique learning goals — all through a single, powerful solution.
With offices in Dublin (our HQ), Philadelphia, Belgrade, and Sydney, we are a team that puts our customers' experience at the heart of everything we do. We're always striving for the best solution (not the easy one), and we go the extra mile to deliver work we're proud of.
Our culture fosters open, collaborative environments where our team and individual accomplishments are celebrated and encouraged. Join LearnUpon, where we work together as a friendly, supportive team who, most importantly, like to have fun.
What will I be doing?
As a Senior Data Engineering Manager in the Data group, you will be a key technical leader and role model within the Engineering organization and the company at large. You’ll be leading a team of diverse Engineers (Data Engineers, ML Engineers, Developers) to design and deliver scalable infrastructure and pipelines. Your work will span both internal datasets (expanding our nascent data warehouse) and production datasets (helping us grow from RDMSs into NoSQL solutions, and optimize ML workflows). We’re looking for someone excited to test new technology and lead the charge of getting bigger, richer data and insights into and out of our product!
- Manage and lead a team of data engineers, ML engineers, and developers responsible for designing, building, and maintaining our data warehouse, data pipelines, and data our infrastructure.
- Lead the identification and resolution of scalability choke points, providing expert guidance on database technology and tooling choices..
- Guide the creation and upkeep of ETL pipelines, encompassing both batch and streaming modes to process and transform large volumes of data from diverse sources into formats suitable for analysis, reporting, and machine learning.
- Spearhead the construction and management of data warehousing solutions that support our data analytics and reporting needs, in compliance with privacy requirements.
- Ensure the quality and reliability of our data systems, including data accuracy, completeness, consistency, availability, and data security.
- Implement best practices for data engineering, including data modeling, data governance, data lineage, and data quality.
- Manage and monitor data pipelines, data storage, and data processing systems to ensure they are operating efficiently and effectively.
- Influence engineering culture and rigor across the data and engineering teams by working with different levels to champion craftsmanship, and the voice of our customers. We put the customer at the heart of everything we do, and want a leader who shares our customer obsession!
What skills do I need?
4+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
7+ years of hands-on experience in data engineering / data architecture / data tooling or related work.
Proven experience with:
SQL and NoSQL databases.
column databases (such as Druid/Snowflake/Redshift/BigQuery).
workflow schedulers (such as Airflow/Luigi/Dagster/Azkaban/etc).
Stream processing (specifically Apache Kafka).
observability tools (Prometheus/Expectations/OpenTelemetry, etc).
building and running large scale distributed systems.
Data modeling and data governance.
Background in at least one programming language (you’ll need to be able to read through Python, Go, and Ruby and understand high level what they’re doing.
Track record of recruiting and growing top talent.
Experience working with and leading teams in multiple locations.
Ability to communicate findings clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences (strong English written and verbal communication skills).
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box in order to apply, we’re always happy to review applications and take all experience into consideration. We do our best to provide feedback where we can!
Not required but considered a plus
- Start-up mindset - someone who still likes to get their hands dirty in code and data.
- Experience with AWS (e.g. IAM permissions, S3, Dynamo, Redshift, Glue).
- A technology qualification (Degree or equivalent) in a field of study such as Computer Science or Engineering.
Why work with us?
- Work in a fun and supportive environment with regular team events.
- Excellent career progression - take LearnUpon where you think it can go.
- Structured learning environment.
- Competitive salary and company ESOP.
- Private health insurance.
- Employer Contributed Pension.
- 25 days annual leave + 1 annual company wellness day off.
- Flexible working arrangements.
What is the Hiring Process?
Applicants for the position can expect the following hiring process:
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a 30-minute call.
- Successful candidates will then be invited to a series of practical interviews.
- Finally, candidates will have a short interview with a member of our Executive team.
- Successful candidates will be contacted with an offer to join our team.
LearnUpon is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, membership of the Traveller community, or any other legally protected status.
Visit our Careers page to find out more about working for LearnUpon, and check us out on Instagram.