By 2025, KIPP DC will build upon two decades of proven results to develop into a more impactful, innovative, and inclusive school system that provides joyful, identity-affirming learning experiences so that all students and alumni achieve extraordinary outcomes.
Our work is grounded in a commitment to excellence, equity, and justice. We believe all students have the right to rigorous, relevant, and joyful learning experiences led by exceptionally talented and diverse educators who promote student achievement and a sense of belonging. We believe students and teachers best succeed when surrounded by an ecosystem of supports, including our central headquarters team that supports KIPP DC’s 20 schools, 7,300 students, and 1,300 teachers, leaders, and staff members dedicated to this mission.
Data analysts play an integral role in promoting data-driven decision-making at KIPP DC. They are responsible for managing, analyzing, and reporting on student data, including assessment, attendance, and behavior data. They work to identify trends, surface insights, and build the staff’s capacity for using data. Data analysts work primarily on KIPP DC’s school campuses, collaborating closely with our school leaders, teachers, and other instructional staff. The optimal candidate for this role identifies as a data nerd, has a keen eye for details, is a strong project manager, can work well independently and as part of a team, and is a problem-solver who enjoys helping others. This is an exempt position and reports to the Director of Data Analysis.
A data analyst’s work falls into three interdependent categories:
Data Analysis, Application, and Action 45%
- Analyze outputs from KIPP DC’s student information system, student assessments, data warehouse, and other data platforms.
- Synthesize data into relevant insights and implications. Support stakeholders in interpreting and applying the findings.
- Design, implement, and monitor data tools and dashboards to support strategic decisions by teachers, instructional coaches, and school leaders. Seek feedback from teammates and users to improve the product.
Data Management 35%
- Maintain and manage student data related to assessments, attendance, behavior, and post-secondary outcomes.
- Develop an understanding of KIPP DC’s data sources and systems integration processes to be able to build data tools and monitor data quality.
- Support school-level data management, including test administration and attendance taking. Coordinate with school leaders and external testing partners to ensure a smooth testing experience for students and staff.
- Develop and maintain documentation of processes for data collection, management, and analysis.
Data Strategy 20%
- Build positive relationships with stakeholders to learn the context of their work, encourage their questions, and find opportunities to provide support.
- Provide training and coaching to stakeholders to build their capacity to use student data, analytical tools, data-related technology, and rigorous analyses. Support their efforts to improve instructional planning, monitor student and school progress, and drive student growth and achievement.
- Use data team’s or stakeholders’ assessment of future data needs to execute a data strategy to meet those needs.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Bachelor’s degree required and 2+ years of experience working with data.
- Robust quantitative and analytical skills, including experience working with large datasets and strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple simultaneous priorities with short- and long-term deadlines.
- Extraordinary attention to detail.
- Strong strategic and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills. Able to convey information in a way that is strategic, honest, timely, and respectful.
- Experience cultivating relationships and working effectively with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Passion for education and the belief that every child can succeed.
- Commitment to KIPP DC’s mission.
- Commitment to actively confront and combat institutional racism within and beyond KIPP DC through our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives.
- Flexibility, tenacity, high-quality work, resourcefulness, teamwork, and a sense of humor.
OTHER PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working with education data.
- Experience with data visualization and dashboarding tools (ex: Tableau, Qlikview).
- Experience training and communicating about technical topics to audiences of varying levels of expertise.
- Experience programming in data analysis languages and/or software (ex:. SQL, R, Stata, SPSS).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
KIPP DC offers an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $71,615-$85,256. At KIPP DC we strive for clarity, equity, and to be highly competitive. When determining salaries we look at benchmarks in the education and non-profit sector.
KIPP DC offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurances; various voluntary benefits; and employer paid benefits such as short term disability, long term disability, life insurance, and a membership to One Medical.
KIPP DC also offers a 403(b) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution and a 3% match with vesting after three years.
Currently, individuals in this role have up to 15 paid time off days, up to 10 paid sick days, and 12 paid holidays. This is subject to change and your exact schedule will be shared in your offer letter.
As a headquarters team that is focused on being responsive to our schools and meeting the needs of our students and families, we approach our work in a way that reflects these priorities. Schools operate in person and our students and families rely on us for in-person support, and this position will regularly provide on-site support to school teams, frequently partner with other headquarters teams, or regularly work in multiple locations. Because of the nature of the work, this role allows for occasional flexibility. This role will have approximately 20% flexibility to work remotely.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KIPP DC Public Schools does not discriminate against, or tolerate discrimination against, employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis or protected class including, but not limited to, actual or perceived race, color, national origin, immigration status (except as necessary to comply with federal, DC, state, or local law), religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or expression), marital status (including domestic partnership status), genetic information, political affiliation, pregnancy, family responsibilities, personal appearance, veteran status, uniform service member status, status of being unemployed, status of victim a survivor of domestic violence, sexual offense or stalking, matriculation or any other protected class under federal, state, DC, or local law.