We’re here because we believe in small businesses. We believe they deserve better than waiting weeks for a loan. And we believe it’s our job to help them grow.
We started in 2012 with these principles, and we hold true to them today – now that we’re one of the fastest-growing fintechs in Europe. In the time between, we’ve built the best tech platform in lending, won several awards and opened up £3.5 billion in loans to over 90,000 businesses.
So what’s next? Our mission now is to help one million businesses who need us. To do this, we’ll need new products and partnerships. But most of all, we’ll need smart, hands-on people to join us on the journey and get us to our goal.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who loves to code and get their hands dirty with raw data. It doesn't really matter whether people call you an Engineer, Physicist or Mathematician, what matters to us is that you are a curious and continuous learner with a hunger to achieve the very best in what you do.
Our Data Scientists develop cutting edge algorithms using statistical modelling and machine learning techniques. Using Python (Pandas, NumPy, and Scikit-learn) they work in a fast-paced, collaborative and dynamic environment to produce data driven solutions, which will have significant business impact.
As the Senior Data Scientist in Team DE, you will play a crucial role in enhancing risk & operational efficiency across various domains. Here are some examples of projects you might work on:
- Improving predictive risk models based on customer data, to forecast and determine whether an application for a loan should be approved or declined, which risk scoring is applicable and which default likelihood is expected
- Building predictive models based on customer data, to determine whether changes that are made to our core product will improve e.g. customer's likelihood to apply for a loan or accept a loan offer
- Setting up, monitoring and analysing split tests, to help understand the value of product adjustments. e.g. determining the ROI of different interest options that we offer our customers, or understanding the effectiveness of marketing campaigns at motivating potential customers to apply for a loan product
- Building statistical models to enhance the ability of operations teams to do accurate forecasting and capacity planning and scenario analyses
This role will enable you to build deep expertise in risk & business processes across the full range of the customer journey. From attracting the best sign-ups through to selecting the right customers, to developing valuable data-driven insights, which will help to guide the development of effective risk models and improve profitably of our business.
You’ll be embedded within our German Team reporting directly into the GM. You’ll work closely with our Lending Strategy (Risk & Underwriting), Lending Proposition (Product), and Market teams and business stakeholders to ensure that your work aligns closely with business goals and achieves valuable commercial outcomes. You will work closely with other Data Scientists across the business, and be part of a peer group with other domain experts that you can share and deepen your technical expertise and then apply your knowledge within the German business.
- Strong numerate background, e.g. in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or similar.
- Must have a background in Probability & Statistics.
- Ability to dive deep into the business context and translate data into actionable insights
- Programming experience: Python, Java, C/C++ or similar.
- Experience with Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, R, Matlab, and/or SQL
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously in an unstructured environment.
- Demonstrable experience using machine learning techniques.
- Knowledge of computer-science fundamentals.
We expect to pay from £80,000 - £110,000 for this role. But, we’re open-minded, so definitely include your salary goals with your application. We routinely benchmark salaries against market rates, and regularly remunerate staff for their increasing value to our business.
At iwoca, we prioritise a culture of learning, growth, and support, and invest in the professional development of our team members. You'll have access to ample opportunities for skill-building, mentorship, and career progression, and can decide your career path, focusing on frontend, branching into full-stack, or developing your skills in project and people leadership.
We value thought and skill diversity, and encourage you to explore new areas of interest to help us innovate and improve our products and services.
Our friendly and inclusive environment, combined with our flexible work policies, ensures that you'll have the perfect balance between work and life, empowering you to thrive both personally and professionally.
We put a lot of effort into making iwoca a brilliant place to work:
- Offices in London, Leeds, and Frankfurt
- Events and clubs, like bingo, comedy nights, yoga classes, football…
- Two company retreats a year, we’ve been to France, Italy, Spain and further afield
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our offices.
- Hybrid working with a WFH budget for your home office.
We offer a wide range of benefits:
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- 25 days’ holiday and an extra day off for your birthday
- Instant access to emotional and mental health support with our partner, Spill
- Generous maternity leave and shared parental leave
- A nursery tax benefit scheme to help you save money
- Paid volunteering time to support your chosen charity
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- One-month fully paid sabbatical after 4 years
- Cycle-to-work scheme and electric car scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer:
- An L&D budget for everyone, including a book budget
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse.
Here’s our benefits & policies: https://coda.io/d/\_dsWRAp\_iPMd/iwoca-Benefits-Policies-UK\_suFG