At GSK we are building a best-in-class data and prediction powered team that is ambitious for patients.
Scientific Digital and Tech’s goal is to power the discovery, development and supply of medicines and vaccines to patients. This means new tools to discover new medicines and vaccines, predictive capability for pre-clinical research, accelerated CMC and supply chain and an improved day-to-day laboratory experience for our scientists. Our Digital & Tech solutions will automate workflows and speed up decisions; freeing hands and releasing minds to focus on science.
As R&D enters a new era of data driven science, we are building a data engineering capability to ensure we have high quality data captured with context and aligned data models, so that the data is useable and reusable for a variety of use cases.
GSK R&D and Digital and Tech’s collective goal is to deliver business impact, including the acceleration of the discovery and development of medicines and vaccines to patients. The R&D Digital and Tech remit has expanded over the past 2 years, and to position GSK for the future, The change will strengthen R&D Tech, to provide more strategic impact, focus, accountability, and improved decision making in the use of Digital, Data and Analytics (DDA) to strengthen the pipeline.
This role contributes to the construction of the development data fabric and data strategy. This role will interact with architects, engineers, data modelers, product owners as well as other team members in Clinical Solutions and R&D. This role will actively participate in creating technical solutions, designs, implementations & participate in the relentless improvement of R&D Tech systems in alignment with agile and DevOps principles.
The Data Engineer demonstrates both depth and breadth across key data engineering competencies e.g. Software Development, Testing, DevOps, Data Science/Analytics, and cloud. Can collaborate with experts from other subject domains. Primary responsibilities include using Azure cloud services and GSK data platform tools to ingest, egress, and transform data from multiple sources.
In addition, the role will demonstrate core engineering knowledge/experience of industry technologies, practices, and frameworks such as data fabric and scaling data platforms, containerization, cloud-based platforms, data analytics, machine learning, and data streaming. Examples of technologies include Java/C#/Python, Denodo, GIT, Azure Devops, Data Bricks, Presto, Spark, Azure Data Factory, ADLS V2, Kafka, Selenium, JUnit/NUnit, SAFe, Kanban, Docker, AI/ML, Azure/GCP Cloud Architecture including networking principles and scaling applications.
The Data Engineer, Clinical Solutions role is a senior technical role and will provide you the opportunity to lead key activities to progress your career. These responsibilities include the following:
- Working with other teams that are defining devops and data platform practices to meet the requirements of clinical solutions.
- Supporting engineering teams in the adoption and creation of data fabric best practices.
- Conducting PoCs of new technologies and helping to embed them in product teams
- Being part of a cutting-edge team creating the Development Data Fabric
- Ensures that technical delivery is fully compliant with GSK Security, Quality and Regulatory standards
- Ensures use of relevant R&D Tech / central services and collaborating with service partners in identification and delivery of service improvements
- Maintains best practices for engineering and architecture on our Confluence site. This requires hands on experience with cutting edge technology.
- Pro-actively engages in experimentation and innovation to drive relentless improvement
- Provides leadership, technical direction and GSK expertise to architecture and engineering teams composed of GSK FTEs, strategic partners and software vendors.
Are you ready to work in an environment where you are continuously expected to work on projects with new technology and expected to use this technology to deliver real business value?
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Total 15+ years of experience and proficient with at least 3 of the below skills and can demonstrate knowledge and value with relevant experience in all the following competencies:
- Must have experience in Spark, Python and Databricks
- Software development, architecture design & technology platforms/frameworks
- Data Platforms and Domain-driven design
- Agile, DevOps & Automation [of testing, build, deployment, CI/CD, etc.]
- Data science (e.g. AI/ML), data analytics & data quality/integrity
- Testing strategies & frameworks
- Role requires:
- Demonstrated skill in delivering high-quality engineered data products
- Knowledge of industry standards and technology platforms aligned to GSK and R&D roadmaps
- Excellent communication, negotiation, influencing and stakeholder management skills
- Customer focus and excellent problem-solving skills
- Computer Science or related bachelor’s degree – MS in Computer Science is preferred
- Good understanding of various software paradigms: domain-driven, procedural, data-driven, object-oriented, functional
- Familiar with .Net Core (C#), Java, Python
- Demonstrable knowledge depth in more than one area of software engineering and technology
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in agile software development and DevOps, relevant technology platforms [e.g., Kubernetes] and frameworks [e.g. Docker] including cloud technologies & data structures (i.e. information management), data models or relational database design
- Subject matter expertise in clinical development
- R&D Tech requires Engineers with understanding of the relevant technical and scientific domains. Able to deliver continuous change to meet rapidly evolving R&D strategy and ambition.
- Experience with agile development methods, with security strategies and best practices, data integration mechanisms, architectural design tools, delivering and integrating COTS applications, areas of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Application Integration, Business Process Management and Data Quality.
- Experience in applying AI/ML, data curation, virtualization, predictive modelling, workflow, and advanced visualization techniques to enable decision support across multiple products and assets to drive results across R&D business operations.
At GSK we value diversity (Gender, LGBTQ +, PwD etc.) and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
It has come to our attention that the names of GlaxoSmithKline or GSK or our group companies are being used in connection with bogus job advertisements or through unsolicited emails asking candidates to make some payments for recruitment opportunities and interview. Please be advised that such advertisements and emails are not connected with the GlaxoSmithKline group in any way.
GlaxoSmithKline does not charge any fee whatsoever for recruitment process. Please do not make payments to any individuals / entities in connection with recruitment with any GlaxoSmithKline (or GSK) group company at any worldwide location. Even if they claim that the money is refundable.
If you come across unsolicited email from email addresses not ending in gsk.com or job advertisements which state that you should contact an email address that does not end in “gsk.com”, you should disregard the same and inform us by emailing [email protected], so that we can confirm to you if the job is genuine.