We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Principal Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team at GSK. The Principal Data Engineer will work with the Commercial Pharma Tech Product & the Development teams to architect & deliver digital products that are “fit for purpose” and “fit for use” leveraging proven and repeatable architecture/design patterns to optimize speed-to-value & costs.
As a Principal Data Engineer, you will play a critical role in the design, development, and maintenance of our data infrastructure, ensuring it meets the highest standards of quality, security, and scalability.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to understand their data needs and align data engineering strategies with the organization's business goals.
- Work as Delivery/Tech Lead where resource would require to manage and lead the development/deployment squads for Data products deliveries
- Develop and maintain data architecture and design strategies that balance technical considerations with business requirements, ensuring data solutions are scalable and efficient.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of Azure data services, including Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, Azure Synapse Analytics.
- Lead the design and implementation of ETL/ELT processes to extract, transform, and load data from various sources into Azure data repositories.
- Create and manage data models that not only optimize technical performance but also meet business reporting and analytics needs.
- Oversee data integration efforts and ensure that data is accessible and relevant for business users.
- Implement data security and compliance measures to protect sensitive information and ensure regulatory requirements are met.
- Establish and enforce data governance policies that maintain data quality, compliance, and metadata management in line with business processes.
- Continuously optimize data solutions for performance, cost-effectiveness, and scalability while considering the impact on business operations.
- Develop and maintain scripts and automation workflows that streamline data pipeline management and meet business needs.
- Act as a liaison between technical data engineering and business teams, facilitating communication and understanding of data requirements.
- Set up monitoring and alerting systems to proactively identify and address data pipeline issues that could impact business operations.
- Maintain comprehensive documentation of data solutions, configurations, and changes that can be understood by both technical and business stakeholders.
- Stay current with emerging data technologies and trends and propose innovative solutions that improve data engineering processes while taking into account business needs.
- Provide technical leadership to the data engineering team, mentoring junior data engineers in understanding and addressing business requirements.
- 10 - 12+ Years of Industry Experience in Data Engineering.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Proven experience as a Principal Data Engineer with a strong emphasis on Microsoft Azure (typically 8+ years of experience).
- 2+ Years of Pharmaceutical Domain experience is strong plus.
- Microsoft Azure certifications, such as Azure Data Engineer, are a strong plus.
- Proficiency in SQL and NoSQL databases, as well as big data technologies like Apache Spark.
- Strong programming skills in languages like Python, Scala, or .NET.
- Strong hold on Azure DevOps – CI/CD implementation
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts, data lakes, and data streaming.
- Experience with containerization technologies like Docker and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Commitment to continuous learning and staying up to date with Azure data services and best practices.
- Reviewing and recommending architectural patterns for data performance
- Strong Understanding of Databricks ecosystem and its component’s.
- Strong Communication skills & Creative Problem-solving skills.
- Take independent decisions based on circumstances.
- Proven record of Product/Project delivery hitting timelines within budget.
- Effective work prioritization & delegation
- Effective team design skills.
- Strong Understanding of ML-Ops Tools & Concepts.
At GSK, we are dedicated to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer. As a global leader in pharmaceuticals and healthcare, we have a rich history dating back to the 19th century and a relentless commitment to advancing healthcare for the betterment of humanity.
Our mission is to help people around the world do more, feel better, and live longer. We achieve this by researching, developing, and providing innovative medicines, vaccines, and consumer healthcare products. Our dedication to scientific excellence and ethical practices guides everything we do.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
It has come to our attention that the names of GlaxoSmithKline or GSK or our group companies are being used in connection with bogus job advertisements or through unsolicited emails asking candidates to make some payments for recruitment opportunities and interview. Please be advised that such advertisements and emails are not connected with the GlaxoSmithKline group in any way.
GlaxoSmithKline does not charge any fee whatsoever for recruitment process. Please do not make payments to any individuals / entities in connection with recruitment with any GlaxoSmithKline (or GSK) group company at any worldwide location. Even if they claim that the money is refundable.
If you come across unsolicited email from email addresses not ending in gsk.com or job advertisements which state that you should contact an email address that does not end in “gsk.com”, you should disregard the same and inform us by emailing [email protected], so that we can confirm to you if the job is genuine.