Forensic Data Analytics Assistant
Nov 15, 2023
London (30 Finsbury Square)
More than you expected
Grant Thornton UK LLP is part of a global network of independent audit, tax and advisory firms, made up of some 58,000 people in over 135 countries. We're a team of independent thinkers who put quality, inclusion and integrity first. All around the world we bring a different experience to our clients. A better experience. One that delivers the expertise they need in a way that goes beyond. Personal, proactive, and agile. That's Grant Thornton.
NEW GROUND WON’T BREAK ITSELF.
Every day our teams help people in businesses and communities to do what is right and achieve their goals.
Grant Thornton’s Forensic and Investigation Services (FIS) offer a range of services to large corporates, law firms, regulators, law enforcement agencies and governments. Our work falls broadly into the following areas: investigations, disputes, digital forensics, corporate intelligence, financial crime and competition services and monitoring.
As a service line within FIS, Forensic Data Analytics (FDA) works in close collaboration with the broader team and applies investigative skills with cutting-edge technology and techniques to provide unique and tailored solutions to our clients. We collect and use structured data to prevent, detect, monitor or investigate misconduct, fraud and non-compliance. Reviewing large volumes of data to identify facts that matter is what we do.
We’re happy to talk flexible working and consider reduced hours and job shares, we’ll support you to balance your work and life.
A look into the role
You will work closely with your colleagues to develop the FDA service in-house and externally, building systems and dashboards to support existing services and FDA led propositions. Our engagements typically require working with large datasets from disparate sources to support the various service lines within FIS such as investigations, disputes, financial crime and proactive risk detection.
We are looking for a candidate with experience in data science and a genuine interest in forensic work. When reviewing data, you will seek to determine answers to our clients’ questions and bring originality of thought to the analysis and interpretation of data. You will have exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, be focused on self-development and supporting your colleagues.
As a Forensic Data Analytics/Science Assistant within our team, you will:
- Combine different tools and technologies to develop end to end analytical solutions that address our clients’ business challenges through asset development.
- Develop and apply forensic technical experience to effectively manage allocated assignments that meet and exceed the client's expectation.
- Participate in client meetings on matters connected with the assignment, including scoping of projects and gathering of requirements.
- Ensure the end-to-end delivery of projects across the full lifecycle: Data extraction; transformation; loading (ETL); analysis; visualization and client delivery.
- Handle the upload of data into SQL (ETL) from a variety of sources.
- Optimise existing processes using SQL (or a combination of other languages) to improve accuracy/ runtime/ efficiency.
- Design and develop dashboards with interactive visualisation tools such as Tableau or PowerBI to present the benefits of the analysis to clients.
Knowing you’re right for us
Joining us as a Forensic Data Analytics/Science Assistant the minimum criteria you’ll need is strong academic qualifications with a degree in a STEM discipline (Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) and work experience in data analytics in a consulting environment such as a Big 4 firm, boutique or risk management entity working under time pressure and deadlines. It would be great if you had some of the following skills, but don’t worry if you don’t tick every box, we’ll help you develop along the way.
- Intermediate experience in SQL. Developing, optimising, and testing complex scripts to gain insight from client data;
- Experience in at least a visualization tool: Tableau or Power BI;
- General computer skills such as knowledge of character encoding will avoid future pitfalls when working with data in non-Latin characters
- Prior experience in forensic disciplines
- Statistics, machine learning and automation experience
- Accounting knowledge such as an understanding of double entry accounting
Knowing we’re right for you
Embracing uniqueness, the culture at Grant Thornton thrives on the contributions of all our people, we never settle for what is easy, we look beyond to deliver the right thing, for everyone. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
Our open and accessible culture means you’ll interact with leaders who are interested in you and everything you bring to our firm. The things that set you apart, we value them. That’s why we give you the freedom to bring your whole self to work and pursue your passions inside and outside of work.
Beyond the job
Life is more than work. The things you do, and the people you’re with outside of work matter, that’s why we’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
We’re looking for people who want to contribute, spark fresh ideas and go beyond expectations. People who want to be able to proudly do what’s right, for the firm, our clients, our people and themselves. It’s how it should be.
Grant Thornton is one of the world's leading independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. We are driven by independent thinkers that provide high quality business and financial advice to a wide range of clients in countries all over the world.
We are committed to creating an inclusive working environment where people can flourish, where differences are understood and respected, and everyone is valued.
We recognise it’s important for us to understand how we can support you in your role, including exploring any reasonable and flexible working adjustments. This flexibility will enable you to bring your full self to work and be at your best.
At Grant Thornton we pride ourselves on the professional standards we expect of our people. We begin setting these standards with our recruitment process where we include rigorous background checks on the people who accept a job offer from us. If we make you an offer you will be contacted directly to give your authorisation for these. Your start date will be dependent on the successful completion of these checks. If you have questions about this process please contact your recruiter.