Staff Bioinformatics Scientist - Machine Learning/Classifier Research and Development #2802 (Bay Area)
Sep 15, 2023
Menlo Park, CA
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
GRAIL is seeking a Staff Bioinformatics Scientist with expertise in machine learning, statistics, genomics, and computational biology to join our Classifier Development team to probe sequencing data, and utilize cutting-edge machine learning tools.
Key Areas of Expertise Sought:
Classifier Development: Envision, design, and own projects to investigate classifier performance and exploit opportunities for improvement
Statistical Modeling: Follow sound statistical practice to model next-generation sequencing data and identify robust signals for cancer detection and localization.
Machine Learning in Genomics: Build groundbreaking tools that discern intricate genomic patterns and meticulously identify the most impactful features for our applications.
As a Staff level Bioinformatics scientist you will have the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of early cancer detection and be a part of an inclusive workplace where all voices are valued. Join GRAIL's pioneering team and make a profound difference in the lives of those affected by cancer!
- Lead advanced projects in bioinformatics, implementing novel statistical and machine learning methods to enhance classifier performance.
- Work closely with colleagues in GRAIL's Bioinformatics division, fostering collaboration with mavens in genomics, computational biology, and data science.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with wet-lab and clinical scientists.
- Implement and refine novel machine learning algorithms on GRAIL’s vast sequencing datasets, translating insights into actionable outcomes.
- Build out novel machine learning and statistics best practices to guarantee the production of transparent, reliable results.
- Develop top-tier, reproducible software that meets stringent engineering standards.
- Regularly update on projects, disseminating results and insights during technical meetings.
- B.S. or M.S. with 8+ years of relevant experience, or Ph.D. with 5+ years of relevant experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics, Machine Learning, or a related field. Additional experience and backgrounds will also be considered.
- Deep-seated understanding and practical experience in modern statistical methodologies and machine learning techniques.
- Demonstrable proficiency in dissecting Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) data to decipher biological intricacies.
- Expertise in data analysis using R or Python. Experience in system-level languages like Go, Java, C, C++ is viewed favorably.
- Familiarity with version control tools (e.g., git) and practiced research techniques in a Linux environment.
- Significant scientific contributions, reflected through highly-cited publications, software tools, international conference presences, thought leadership, and/or notable awards.
- Innate drive, a passion for sharing expertise, and an agility in embracing innovative methodologies.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
The estimated, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $180,000 - $210,000. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.