Our mission is to help people everywhere find a job and company they love. In the process, we’re transforming the workplace experience through the power of transparency and further cementing ourselves as the worldwide leader in employer branding and insights. By choosing a career at Glassdoor, you’ll be directly contributing toward our vision for a world where transparency empowers the workforce and motivates companies to become better employers.
Please note: This role may be open to remote hiring. Our office locations are in San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; London, UK; and Dublin, Ireland.
About the Role
We are looking for a talented big data engineering intern to join our growing data engineering team. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable about data platforms that enable business intelligence, analytics, data science, and data products. You must be interested and passionate about data and the technologies that enable preparation, analysis, and scalable workflows.
Reporting to a Data Engineering Manager you will be responsible for working on data pipeline-related data problems. You will empower our internal stakeholders with high-quality data sets, data workflows, and data-serving solutions. Insights from these data sets will be used in several applications including - improving our operations and reliability.
We embrace a wide variety of technologies and work very closely with data scientists and business stakeholders to deliver end-to-end solutions. If you are interested in a fast-paced environment, the latest technologies, and fun data problems come join us!
What You’ll Do
- Design and develop big data applications using a variety of different technologies.
- Develop logical and physical data models for big data platforms.
- Automate workflows using Apache Airflow.
- Write data pipelines using Apache Hive, Apache Spark, Kafka, Snowflake.
- Create solutions on AWS using services such as Lambda and API Gateway.
- Learn our business domain and technology infrastructure quickly and share your knowledge freely and proactively with others on the team.
What You’ll Bring
- Experience with programming languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Good knowledge of building web services using REST APIs, or other similar protocols like GRPC or SOAP.
- Practical working experience writing queries in SQL and HQL (Hive SQL)
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgment to make sound decisions
- Comfortable working in a *nix environment
- Knowledge of distributed data processing platforms (Snowflake, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Airflow, Kinesis, Kafka, etc.)
- Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Nice To Have
- Experience building machine learning pipelines or data products.
- Familiarity with AWS or GCS technologies.
- Be passionate about or have contributed to open-sourced engineering projects in the past.
Hourly pay rate: $40.00
Glassdoor Internship Program
- 12 week virtual program where you'll manage projects and tasks, participate in engaging virtual events, and learn valuable skills!
- Full-time program (8 hours per day, 40 hours per week).
- Fully remote: work almost anywhere within the United States.
- Fully paid program and paid company holidays.
- Two cohort dates:
- May 28 - August 16, 2024
- June 3 - August 23, 2024
Our Company Values and Commitments
- Transparency: We are open and honest. We share information – the good and the bad – so we can continuously learn, collaborate and make the right decisions.[salary](https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/glassdoor-<a href=)-ranges/"> Pay bands, our compensation philosophy, and employee feedback polls are shared publicly.
- Innovation: We actively pursue new and different ways to further Glassdoor’s mission. We forge our own path by challenging the status quo. The ultimate goal is not just to change how we operate at Glassdoor, but for every employer to follow our lead!
- Good People: We work together with integrity, respect and compassion for one another. We have fun together! We are inclusive, fair and humble while remaining confident. We do the right thing, period.
- Grit: We are resilient, inventive and fearless. We see challenges as opportunities. With passion and courage, we come together to get the job done.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We are dedicated to building a company that is more diverse and representative of society at large. Glassdoor externally publishes our Diversity & Inclusion report and information about our employee population to hold ourselves accountable to our dedication. We also provide programs and resources to build a greater sense of belonging for our employees.
Glassdoor is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Glassdoor is an equal opportunity employer; committed to creating a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.