The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
Analytics Engineers sit at the intersection of business teams, Data Analytics and Data Engineering and are responsible for bringing robust, efficient, and integrated data models and products to life. Analytics Engineers speak the language of business teams and technical teams, they are able to translate data insights and analysis needs into models powered by the Enterprise Data Platform. The successful Analytics Engineer is able to blend business acumen with technical expertise and transition between business strategy and data development. In this role, the incumbent will have an opportunity to drive impact on a large scale by delivering trusted, transformed data that Senior Leadership will use to power the Customer Journey and Research and Development decisions at GitLab.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with team members to collect business requirements, define successful analytics outcomes, and design data models
- Build trust in all interactions and with Trusted Data Development
- Serve as the Directly Responsible Individual for small sections of the Enterprise Dimensional Model
- Design and develop dbt code to extend the Enterprise Dimensional Model
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation in the Data Team Handbook
- Maintain the Data Catalog, a scalable resource to support Self-Service and Single-source-of-truth analytics
- Document plans and results in either issue, MRs, the handbook, or READMEs following the GitLab tradition of handbook first!
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices (such as the SQL Style Guide) for a high-scale database environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
What you'll bring
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative environment
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with task organizational skills
- Great communication: Regularly achieve consensus amongst technical and business teams
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate complex business activities, technical requirements, and recommendations
- Demonstrated experience with one or more of the following business subject areas: marketing, finance, sales, product, customer success, customer support, engineering, or people
- 1+ years in the Data space as an analyst, engineer, or equivalent
- 1+ years experience designing, implementing, operating, and extending commercial Kimball enterprise dimensional models
- 1+ years working with a large-scale (1B+ Rows) Data Warehouse, preferably in a cloud environment
- 1+ years experience building reports and dashboards in a data visualization tool
- 1+ years creating project plans to identify tasks, milestones, and deliverables
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.