Scientist I/II, Computational Biology
Nov 08, 2023
South Boston, MA USA
**What if…**you could join an organization that creates, resources and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Ampersand biomedicines, Inc is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company that is pioneering the development of multi-specific medicines to deliberately and systematically drug complex biology. Ampersand biomedicines is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our team. We are a growing team, located in the Boston area, with ambitious goals for growth in 2023.
Ampersand biomedicines, Inc was founded in Flagship's venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI) and Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB) were conceived and created. Since Flagship's founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered development of more than 100 scientific ventures resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, more than 500 issued patents and more than 50 clinical trials for new therapeutic agents.
Ampersand biomedicines, Inc is looking for an enthusiastic and self-driven Scientist I/II, Computational Biology with deep expertise in next-generation-sequencing (NGS), single-cell genomics, and development of AI/Machine Learning/Deep Learning approaches to join our team in developing a cutting-edge platform to identify new multi-specific medicines across a spectrum of therapeutic areas. This is a unique opportunity to help drive the growth of a rapidly growing early-stage science and technology company within a well-resourced environment. S/he will enjoy working in a pioneering, fast-paced, and collaborative start-up environment.
- Translate biological questions into computational problems
- Develop and maintain novel AI/ML predictive models.
- Use publicly available data, proprietary data, comparative sequence analysis and other evolutionary information to build computational models aiming to uncover novel RNA-small molecule interactions
- Actively participate in designing experimental approaches to generate relevant data as well as to validate computational insights
- Develop computational frameworks to systematically characterize results from machine learning models from a biological perspective and provide feedback on improving the models
- Contribute new ideas, strategies and approaches that further the company's goals
- Create concise data visualizations and communicate complex results to an interdisciplinary audience
- PhD in computational sciences (e.g. computational biology, machine learning, computer science or mathematics) or a Masters Degree with 5+ years industry experience with applications in biology.
- Coding experience (R, Python, or other languages) relevant to bioinformatics/computational biology
- Experience in processing, analyzing and modeling large biological datasets (e.g. genomic, transcriptomic) to answer key biological questions
- Experience with high-performance computing (HPC) or cloud computing platform is a plus
- Must have a positive "can do" attitude, be a team player, show excellent judgment as well as work well independently.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary, and rapidly growing biotech environment.
- Instinctive team player with excellent communication skills and precise attention to detail.
Flagship Pioneering is a biotechnology company that invents and builds platform companies, each with the potential for multiple products that transform human health or sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $90 billion in aggregate value. Many of the companies Flagship has founded have addressed humanity’s most urgent challenges: vaccinating billions of people against COVID-19, curing intractable diseases, improving human health, preempting illness, and feeding the world by improving the resiliency and sustainability of agriculture. Flagship has been recognized twice on FORTUNE’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies, and has been twice named to Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. Learn more about Flagship at www.flagshippioneering.com.
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diverse backgrounds and experiences make for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply. We look forward to learning more about you.
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.