Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell circular fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments.
The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester and New York. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Depop is an equal-opportunity employer. Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. To do this, we encourage people from underrepresented communities to apply. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We’re continuing to build recruitment processes that are fair and welcome requests for any reasonable adjustments required throughout your interview experience with us. Depop supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
Depop is looking for a talented Data Scientist to join our Recommendations team in the UK. As part of the Recommendations team you will work alongside a Product Manager, Backend Engineers and other Data Scientists playing a key role in building state-of-the-art recommendation systems.
- Research, design and deliver machine learning solutions to tackle problems within the personalisation and recommendations space
- Optimise and maintain existing solutions to improve performance metrics and increase business impact
- Understand requirements from relevant stakeholders across the business, translating business problems into machine learning solutions
- Set up and conduct large scale experiments to test hypotheses and drive product development
- Keep up to date with state of the art research with the opportunity to apply this within the product
- Participate in team ceremonies (follow the agile cadence, technical whiteboarding sessions, product roadmapping, etc)
- Report and present technical findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- A degree in a quantitative subject such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or related disciplines or a track-record of relevant industry experience
- Proficient in Python with the ability to write production-grade code
- Solid understanding of machine learning and data science concepts, familiar working with common frameworks such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Proven ability to design machine learning solutions to solve business problems using best practices (e.g. data cleaning, model development)
- Collaborative and humble team player with an ability to work with cross-functional teams, including technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Passion for learning new skills and staying up-to-date with ML algorithms
- Experience with Databricks and PySpark
- Experience working with AWS or another cloud platform (GCP/Azure)
- Experience working within recommendations, personalisation or search
- Experience with experiment design and conducting A/B tests
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- PMI and cash plan healthcare access with Bupa
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Selfspace to provide you with the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carry over up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
- Impact hours: At Depop, we offer all full-time employees up to the equivalent of 2 days additional paid leave per year to volunteer. We allocate this time in hours to help you engage with your community with ease and flexibility.
MyMode is our hybrid-working model, designed to empower our employees to choose a working mode that works for them. MyMode is composed of 3 working modes: Flex, Office Based and Remote.
- Flex: we'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week.
- Office: Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
- Remote: depending on your role you can request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year.
All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
You can also apply to work abroad for 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries).
Our parental leave policies aim to support and enable parents to play equal roles in nurturing their families, in a way that is flexible and truly gender-neutral. Our full-time regular employees are eligible for 18 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of their child. We also offer IVF leave, shared parental leave and paid emergency parent/carer leave.
Learn and Grow
- We offer budgets for conferences, learning subscriptions and more. We also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee we waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop so you can ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free.