Energy Aspects currently have an exciting opportunity available for a Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team based out of our Kolkata office. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced data engineer to support the ETL, data pipelines, core databases and strategic projects underpinning the work of our highly regarded global oil, natural gas and energy teams, optimizing our data content and capabilities.
The successful candidate will be responsible for building entirely new data products and maintaining/iterating on our existing datasets, data pipelines and tools in use daily at Energy Aspects by the Data and Research teams. You will take ownership of systems within a cloud-first data stack and be expected to quickly contribute to production-level Python codebases. You will closely support Data Analysts/other technical analysts, while helping to shape and drive forward the future state of data engineering at Energy Aspects.
- Build/maintain data pipelines using Python
- Build/extend/transform core datasets inside a SQL data warehouse
- Design and implement new data solutions for use by internal teams and external clients
- Support a range of strategic, company-level data initiatives
- 2+ years experience as a Data Engineer
- Our tech stack is predominantly:
- Python: Anaconda, pandas, SQLAlchemy, web scraping libraries
- SQL: PostgreSQL
- Cloud: GCP, AWS
- DevOps: Docker, Doppler
- Orchestration: Airflow
- Data visualization + apps: Plotly, dash, Flask, Retool
- Experience building reliable, maintainable data pipelines
- Experience with web scraping
- Experience with scheduling/orchestration tools
- Strong understanding of how to build, extend, query SQL databases – natively and via Python
- Understanding of how to best organize and model data for storage, retrieval, and analysis
- Best practice in data development: documentation, version control, testing and automation
- Understanding of the importance of data governance and metadata
- A methodical, analytical, and organised approach to tackling large scale projects and data sets
- Effective communication skills, comfortable presenting to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience cloud infrastructure, and familiarity with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with Docker/containers
- Experience working with high frequency timeseries data and/or streaming data
- Building and managing other database/datastore technologies (NoSQL variants, file stores, etc.)
- Prior forecasting or modeling experience or training
- An interest in commodities, energy or financial markets would be beneficial
Founded in 2012, we are an independent research consultancy that has enjoyed phenomenal growth since our inception, and we have very ambitious plans to continue on our upwards growth trajectory. We are passionately committed to providing indispensable and industry-leading short, medium and long-term analysis, and forecasts of the energy markets, that helps our clients trade, invest, finance and plan.
With the acquisition of macro research firm Medley Global Advisors, the combination of our market-leading global macro policy analysis and deep energy markets expertise has further strengthened our services to the global financial markets and has enhanced our ability to support our expanding client base, as the energy transition gathers pace and markets look to find their feet in an uncertain future.
Our suite of subscription services can be tailored to meet our clients’ specific needs and combines a data-rich approach and our extensive network of contacts, with insight on geopolitics and energy policy to provide best-in-class assessment, analysis and forecasts of major trends, topics and regions. We also deliver timely analysis of breaking news events and offer proprietary data services that cover fundamental trade and supply/demand data, across a wide variety of products and markets.
Culture & benefits
The proud recipient of accreditation from Best Companies, we truly understand the importance of workplace engagement and genuinely value our people. We offer a fast-paced, driven, collaborative and dynamic working culture where you are recognised and rewarded for your contributions to our tremendous growth story.
Energy Aspects is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and promotes diversity within its workforce. As an international business, we are determined that suitably qualified persons will never receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, race, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
We build our organisation with the community in mind. All our offices are located in landmark buildings with easy access to shopping, restaurants and public transportation. As part of our Kolkata team, you’ll have the opportunity to take part in the social activities taking place in this rapidly growing team.
Our compensation packages include generous commission structures, a company share options scheme, private health insurance, life assurance, income protection, pension contributions and considerable holiday time.