The position: Senior Data Engineer
Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will join our Business Intelligence team within our wider Strategy department. Our centralised business intelligence function is responsible for data engineering, visualisations and analytics, KPI tracking, data quality management, and efficiency building across all areas of the business. You will report to our BI Lead and have the exciting opportunity of being the first Senior Data Engineer on this team, allowing you the creativity and power to make an impact and shape our data structures. We need a passionate and dynamic engineer who thrives in a fast paced and continually evolving environment.
This role is an exciting opportunity to work on data engineering projects that make a difference. You will be responsible for scaling our data architecture and setting the foundations for the business to have a single customer view. You will need to understand the requirements of cross-functional teams, such as Data Science, Product Management, Operations, Commercial, and Customer Care. You will be excited by the prospect of coding and developing the ETL/ELT models for a rapidly growing business. You will unlock product advancement by ensuring data scientists and our product management teams can understand our customers better and therefore bring more value to users. Within the team, you will challenge assumptions and champion software development best-practices. This role is pivotal to building the BI team and transforming our product & app data structures. You will need to be adaptable and find innovative ways to meet the demands of wider stakeholders, but you will also have a lot of ownership and leadership opportunities in the work you do.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our London office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Own and manage data models: design processes, views and procedures that help Elvie scale and get accurate data to the right outputs and users
- Ensure data integrity, consistency, and quality throughout the data lifecycle
- Use Python and Terraform to build infrastructure as code
- Build and optimise scalable and efficient data pipelines from various sources into our data lakes and data warehouse. Connect new data sources using Fivetran or more custom pipelining tools
- Integrate data from diverse sources, including structured and unstructured data, APIs, and streaming data, to enable comprehensive analysis and insights
- Write SQL in dbt to create new data transformations and manage staging/ reporting tables
- Maintain DAGs and orchestration in Airflow (Cloud Composer)
- Establish data validation processes to identify and rectify data inconsistencies, anomalies, and errors. Work closely with stakeholders to resolve data-related issues.
- Identify performance bottlenecks and inefficiencies in data processes and propose solutions to optimise data storage and retrieval.
- Implement data governance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with data privacy regulations and industry best practices.
- Write and document SOPs to ensure transparency and enable effective onboarding and training of future engineers at the business
- Collaborate with the IT and software engineering teams to implement robust data security measures, protecting sensitive data and ensuring data privacy
- Manage and optimise the financial impact of our databases
- Provide data expertise to support strategic requirements, and collaborate with data scientists and the wider data community to achieve joint aims
- KPIs include value added, cost savings, timelines met, number of data sources and models built
- Determine capacity and technology requirements for growing data function based on future demand and business need, in collaboration with other teams at Elvie
What we are looking for:
- Significant experience in a data engineering role
- Experience setting up and improving data warehouse management systems
- Extensive experience in Google BigQuery, MySQL, Cloud SQL or similar databases
- Proficient in SQL, Python, and dbt transformations
- Experience managing version control systems, like git/GitHub or similar
- Advanced ETL/ELT skills and use of GCP tools preferred
- A proven track record of software or app development best-practice
- Experience with Looker/LookML, Tableau, and Sprinklr desirable
- Use of Google Analytics, Firebase, Vena, Alteryx, Ometria, Avercast, Celigo, and Amazon Seller Central all beneficial
- Highly creative and solutions-oriented
- Excellent attention to detail and willingness to learn new technologies and processes
- Experience with agile project management desirable
If you’re excited about this position, but don’t fit 100% of the criteria, we would love to hear from you anyway! We love nothing more than finding unexpected hidden gems💛
The benefits you’ll get:
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- 9 Day Fortnight - for our full time employees we work 9 days every Fortnight with every other Friday as a non-working day for you to spend as you wish!
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you. We do often receive a large number of applications for our roles, please don’t let visibility of this deter you from applying. We review and aim to respond to every application.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of our senior leadership team
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: [email protected] or 0203 884 7223.