Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
We are on the lookout for a Principal Java Engineer to join our Elasticsearch Core Infra team. The mission of the Elasticsearch Core/Infra team is to create the foundational infrastructure that enables engineers to develop, extend and support Elasticsearch. The team owns common functionality such as services, settings and scripting, and makes Elasticsearch extensible through plugins or the Painless scripting language. The team also makes Elasticsearch observable by providing logging and telemetry information.
Our company is distributed by intention. We hire the best engineers we can find wherever they are, whoever they are. As a result, our team is diverse and distributed across continents. We collaborate every day over email, GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. Effective written communication skills are important.
At our best, we write fast, scalable, and intuitive software. We believe that the best way to do that is to code review for every change, decide big things by consensus, and strive for incremental improvements. We believe the team should be aware of how our customers (both technical and non-technical) use our products and be empowered to make bold and impactful decisions.
You will be a strong individual contributor on the team but you will also lead large cross team projects. We need someone who has great design skills, who can work at a low level of abstraction but can equally communicate technical concepts across a variety of collaborators.
What you will be doing
- Leading large, impactful projects that evolve the core infrastructure that underpins Elasticsearch
- Shaping how Elasticsearch runs in Elastic Cloud
- Designing and implementing new horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch
- Understanding and contributing to surrounding layers such as replication and search
- Optimizing internal data structures used within Elasticsearch
- Solving difficult issues, including performance or concurrency issues, and proposing solutions
- Collaborating in the open with the ES team, Elastic users, and other supporting open source projects
- Supporting our support engineers with the harder problems
- Helping to drive our long term technical strategy in relation to changes in the JDK and other core dependencies, for example the deprecation of the security manager.
What you will bring along
- Experience crafting APIs and the ability to reason through tradeoffs
- Proficient in algorithms and data structures
- Experience leading large scale projects across engineering teams
- Willingness to dive into new issues and ask for help when you need it
- Knowledge of Seccomp and other OS level security mechanisms
- Knowledge of JDK internals: class loaders, modules, security manager, the Java memory model, etc.
- Knowledge of containers and Kubernetes
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email candidate_[email protected].
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.