We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
The global operations data science and engineering organization (GODS/DSE) within Fulfillment and Transportation Systems (FTS) Technology is responsible for building efficient and scalable online decision-making and offline decision support systems to solve business problems. These systems include logistics network design, warehouse order picking, warehouse layout (stow recommendation, SKU slotting), first-, middle-, and last-mile delivery, revenue management (route pricing), and labor management systems, to name a few. These systems are integral parts of efficient warehouse and logistics operations, which allow Coupang to offer even faster fulfillment times with more coverage and at lower costs. They are key to the bottom line of Coupang Corp.
These systems are extensively integrated with warehouse management and logistics systems, covering everything from order processing to warehouse operations and logistics delivery. The desired candidate will help GODS/DSE build systems that drive the overall process and workflow of Coupang’s warehouse and logistics systems. This work will not only include designing and building world-class systems but also driving the adoption of advanced technologies in automation, robotics, and process optimization.
This position will report directly to the Head of GODS/GODSE and will offer the autonomy to explore various technical areas in order to discover significant innovations.
- Lead and drive architecture design of GODSE systems for scale, extensibility, and reliability
- Envision and drive alignment with stakeholders of the appropriate roadmap and direction of technology for GODSE
- Navigate and alleviate technical obstacles and blockers at the organizational level
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and “move with urgency.”
- Write code when necessary to lead by example and help with high priority projects
- Proactively identify opportunities in both business and technology
- Review, advise, and carry out the adoption of new technology (both open-source and commercial) that are useful in achieving business objectives
- Recruit and develop world-class engineering talent
- Drive development of automation and robotics initiatives
- 10+ years of experience in software development at technology companies
- Solid track record of delivering large and complex systems with significant business impact
- Experience of designing and developing large-scale distributed systems and architectures
- 7+ years of experience in developing and operating backend services and web applications
- Broad and deep understanding of key technologies in storage, data processing, and serving
- Excellent communications and collaborations across teams and across functionalities
- Capable of object-oriented design and development
- Strong familiarity developing with Java and the Spring Framework
- Service development and operational experience in an AWS environment
- Experience driving improvements in code quality
- Experience using ORM such as JPA, Hibernate, and domain modeling
- Experience with logistics-related service development
- Experience with warehouse-related service development
- Experience in automating build/test/deploy
- Experience with bulk data processing using NoSQL solutions
- Experience with Git system for version control
- Experience with relational and column-oriented databases
- Agile experience