We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
As our Senior Staff Software Engineer, ML infra for Search & Discovery organization, you will be in charge of designing and implementing durable & efficient software solutions that handle massive volume of structured and unstructured data needed to train complex ML models and efficiently serve them online.
The Search & Discovery organization is responsible for optimizing customers’ navigation experience and driving long-term growth. Every week more than 20 million customers use search in our app or on coupang.com, more than one third of them make purchases. Over half of the Coupang sales are directly attributed to search and recommendation. Many business initiatives and growth strategies are driven or boosted by ranking and recommendation.
This role is an opportunity to build scalable offline and online ML platforms to support ranking and recommendation, and business decision making. You will be handling billions of records of user interaction data, and petabytes of raw log files, and transforming them into data objects that can be easily consumed by engineers and scientists. You will also be responsible for serving complex ML models in real time to help millions of Coupang customers search and discover products. If you are passionate about big data engineering and scalable serving systems, you want to make real business impact, and you are a true problem solver, this is the right job for you.
What you will do
- Proactively drive the execution of end-to-end data platform, data quality roadmap for Search & Discovery ML efforts
- Take ownership, consolidate and optimize the Search & Discovery core data logging, processing, and ML model training pipelines
- Develop and scale data infrastructure that powers batch and real-time data processing, monitoring, and debugging for ML experiments
- Drive design and implementation of scalable ML based ranking system and online ML inference services
- Build strong cross-functional partnerships with Data Scientists, Analysts, Product Managers, Indexing Platform Engineers, Ranking Engineers and Data Platform Engineers to understand both the offline and online needs and deliver on those needs
- Research, analyze and select technical approaches for solving difficult and challenging development and integration problems, coach and mentor other engineers in process and methodologies
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of experience
- Computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, performance complexity, and implications of computer architecture on software performance (e.g., I/O and memory tuning)
- Experience with Big Data tools and ETL frameworks (Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, Scala, Apache Airflow, etc.)
- Experience with ML frameworks such as Tensorflow and Pytorch
- Experience with deploying highly robust and scalable data pipelines processing petabytes of data
- Experience in managing mission critical services with high throughput and low latency
- Experience with integrating applications and platforms with cloud technologies (i.e, AWS and GCP)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct meetings and make professional presentations, and explain complex concepts and technical material to non-technical users
- Experience with machine learning platform for search & discovery related rankings is a strong plus
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $159,000/year in our lowest geographic market to $324,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].