We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional tradeoffs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
The Coupang's Rocket Growth Organization is responsible for building the next generation fulfillment by Coupang platform that allows sellers to bring the widest possible quality selection of items available at competitive prices to Coupang's customers in a convenient manner. We are building full-stack Engineering and Applied Science teams to scale up our systems for the vast and growing selection.
This role requires scientific leadership in machine learning, computer vision and NLP to expedite the sellers and buyers experience end-to-end from Items Listings, Pricing, and Inbounding to Fulfillment Centers, and From Fulfillment to Settlements, Tagging and Quality Control. This role also helps orchestrate data science strategies and tools to provide intelligence for sellers to optimize their Selection, Prices, and Fulfillment strategies to Coupang's customer needs, enabling Coupang to become most trusted selling platform. We are looking for a data science leader who has extensive experience in data science specially in the e-Commerce space.
What You Will Do
You will provide technical leadership for our Rocket Growth Data Science Team including Seller Success, Quality Selection, Settlements and Market Content, for domestic and global marketplaces. As a Senior Staff Scientist in Rocket Growth, you will partner with leaders of multiple engineering and data science teams.
You will work closely with the product team to define and implement simple solutions of complex problems while ensuring that our customers have access to a vast selection of quality items at competitive prices with rocket speed on Coupang. You will technically guide teams working using computer vision and NLP approach to automate seller listing process.
You will also contribute towards the strategies and data driven methodologies to improve listing efficiency by accurate forecasting, optimized warehouse capacity utilization, intelligent seller promotions and incentive programs. You will be accountable for hiring and developing technical leaders and top talent, raising the bar on science excellence.
In this role, you will:
• Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions and provide mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and move with urgency .
• Envision science roadmaps for the scalable and robust growth of Coupang's Rocket Growth's business.
• Align with stakeholders, develop strong data driven science culture and provide technical guidance to scientist and engineers on critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
• Demonstrate science excellence by innovating with a variety of machine learning tools for gleaning information and understanding of seller content.
• Dive deep into large amount of data sets from multiple systems to bring critical insights that can be transformed into business opportunities.
• Think big on setting science strategies for optimizing efficiency at each step of the value chain of Rocket Growth seller listing life cycle. Provide top notch statistical and mathematical modeling solutions.
• Collaborate with other Coupang tech leaders to make science innovation scalable to unlock opportunities for business impact.
• Master's in Computer Science, Mathematics, Operation research, Machine Learning, AI, or equivalent quantitative fields
• 10+ years of hands-on experience in one or multiple areas in machine learning. You are considered an expert on Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing or Computer Vision.
• 10+ years of hands-on data analysis, statistical analysis on solving problems at industrial level ultra-scale. Hands-on experience with cloud environment and data lake.
• Familiar with one or multiple of the following programming languages and tools: Python, Java, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Keras, Pyspark, Hive.
• Experience in successfully implementing and deploying scalable and reliable machine learning solutions and defining metrics in large scale production systems with positive business impact.
• Experience in owning end-to-end solution and full machine learning model development cycle.
• Proven track records of communication, gathering requirements, planning and driving technical roadmaps, cross team initiatives and vision, and delivering results. (Influence without authority, deep dive with technical leadership)
• Proven track records of tackling large problems or efforts that are not clearly defined, involving multiple steps or the integration of different techniques and functional areas. (Dealing with ambiguities)
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Operation research, Machine Learning, AI, or equivalent quantitative fields
- 3+ years of e-Commerce technology leadership experience with large-scale systems.
- Proven ability to set technology vision by working backwards from customer needs and deliver innovative solutions. Proven ability to communicate and persuade multiple stakeholders and rally multiple teams to reach the same goal.
- e-Commerce Marketplace Sellers.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings.
- Ability to influence cross functional stakeholders, prioritize ruthlessly, Aim High and Find a Way to deliver results with grit.
Pay & Benefits
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. At Coupang, your base pay is one part of your total compensation.
The base pay for this position ranges from $159,000 /year in our lowest geographic market to $324,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on several factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
General Description of All Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life, AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Long-term/Short-term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- 18-21 days of the Paid Time Off (PTO) a year based on the tenure
- 12 Public Holidays
- Paid Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- MTV - [Free] Electric Car Charging Station
General Description of Other Compensation
“Other Compensation” includes, but is not limited to, bonuses, equity, or other forms of compensation that would be offered to the hired applicant in addition to their established salary range or wage scale.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected]