Pre-College Instructor, Big Data, Machine Learning and Their Real World Applications (On-Campus) Summer 2024
Sep 17, 2023
New York City, United States
Through Columbia University's Pre-College Programs, high schoolers from around the globe prepare for the college experience through exploratory coursework and community activities over seven weeks in the summer. This highly selective program is open to academically exceptional high school students, entering grades 9–12 and freshman year of college.
Columbia University’s Pre-College Programs for High School Students is seeking qualified candidates to develop and teach on-campus (i.e., in person) during Summer ’24.
Please Note: Course(s) and course availability is subject to change. Dates are tentative and subject to change.
Three week courses:
- Session 1: June 24th - July 12th (Classes do not meet on July 4th)
- Session 2: July 16th - August 2nd
One week course:
- Session 3: August 5th - August 9th
The exponential advance of data, cloud computing, and machine learning have transformed every industry from retail and banking to healthcare and education. This introductory-level course enables participants to navigate the new reality of the “data economy,” in which data is the “the new oil”—a ubiquitous and invaluable asset. Students will focus on the strategic use of data and innovative technologies to derive actionable business insights. Participants develop a strong foundation in data-driven thinking for solving real-world problems. They are introduced to a variety of popular technologies for data analytics and gain a familiarity with programming technology. Students will learn how to import, export, manipulate, transform, and visualize data; use statistical summaries; and run and evaluate machine learning models. Participants will learn and implement common machine-learning techniques and develop and evaluate analytical solutions.
- Develop course content, syllabus, lesson plans, and assigned work
- Lead and attend all in-person class sessions
- Establish and maintain a dynamic in-class environment tailored for our high school population
- Evaluate student work and write a holistic evaluation of each participant after the course ends
- Monitor and address student concerns and inquiries (you will have around 20-24 students)
- Attend and complete all required online trainings
- Graduate degree or equivalent professional or academic background
- Expertise in the pertinent subject matter
- Aptitude for teaching
Hiring Salary Ranges:
Sessions 1 & 2 on-campus: $6,150 - $7,850
Session 3 on-campus: $2,200 - $2,800
Please specify which session(s) you would be interested in teaching.
- Please submit a resume inclusive of teaching experience as well as formal teaching evaluations (if available)
- Applicants must have U.S. work authorization and will need to be in the U.S. while teaching
- Applicants may not hold a concurrent appointment with Columbia for the duration of their appointment
- Once hired, applicants are required to submit to a third party background check and complete Protection of Minors training in addition to other training(s) mandated by the University
For more information on the program, hiring process, and class schedules, please see here.
_Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines._
_Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer._