**Who we are
**At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
As one of the most senior members of the Data Science team, a Senior Principal Data Scientist will have wide-ranging responsibilities in improving the team's suite of production machine learning models / data science solutions and in leading R&D efforts to develop new ones. This person will function highly autonomously and will take a leadership role in communicating with stakeholders throughout the company and in identifying novel opportunities for data science in the CarGurus business and product. They will collaborate closely with other members of the Data Science and Machine Learning Engineering teams to introduce new techniques or technologies and to raise the bar on the team's quality of work.
What you'll do
- Identify novel opportunities for data science and machine learning to impact the CarGurus business
- Communicate solutions to both a technical and a lay audience (e.g., what is it, how does it solve the problem, why is it reasonable and what could go wrong)
- Improve core algorithms like predicting the probability of a customer converting or churning
- Support machine learning engineering and data engineering in design of new tools and processes and systems to support data science
- Work closely with more junior team members to delegate and execute project vision
- Take an interest in the latest machine learning research and tools/technologies and organize technical evaluations of their applicability to CarGurus problems
- Own one or more production machine learning model, independently diagnose and fix issues, and add functionality
- Collaborate with ML engineers to design, test, and iterate on production deployment technologies
What you'll bring
- Coding, data analysis, and machine learning in Python and SQL
- Experience testing, deploying, maintaining, and improving production machine learning models and data pipelines
- Technical communication skills
- Project management
- 5+ years professional experience in a data science, machine learning, or AI-related role
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.#LI-Hybrid