Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, an increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture, you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together!
Are you a recent graduate or do you have a few years of work experience? Are you currently searching for a job that offers the opportunity to work on globally impactful operations, all while being part of a dynamic and enthusiastic team?
Imagine automating the execution of large-scale infrastructure projects and optimizing the performance of our innovative Bokalift crane vessels within our Boskalis fleet. In this role, you will have the chance to contribute to our operations by utilizing your skills in algorithm development and creating data insights. You will have the opportunity to develop on cloud technology platforms like Azure DevOps and Databricks. Collaborating with other teams, you will create tools that support your colleagues in the field, making a real impact on our organization.
If you have a background in engineering, econometrics, mathematics, or computer science, we want to hear from you. We want to optimize the complex logistics on our multi-disciplinary projects, not only in desk studies but also during the actual construction works in the field. We are looking for talent with an understanding of marine construction works, statitistics, simulation, and software development. Don't worry if you are not proficient in all areas yet - we encourage continuous learning and development, your colleagues will help you out and we will provide on-the-job training for the right candidate!
As a junior data engineer, you will be part of the Data Science and Engineering team. This small, yet expert team operates at the intersection of data technology and our core businesses of dredging and offshore operations. Together, we work on three key areas: data analysis and automation for our global projects, developing the in-house Boskalis.World data and application platform, and growing our Boskalis Python community. There will be the occasional business trip, plenty of room to innovate as well as a good work/life balance. Not only will you have the opportunity to work within a fun team, but you'll also find opportunities to connect outside of work. Imagine biking to work together, joining Friday after-work drinks, running and other activities that while just being fun also bring us closer together as a team.
Your responsibilities as a junior data engineer
Your main tasks will be:
- To work on our digital twinning platform, Gemini, which we use as a decision-support system for the installation of wind farms but also to optimise our fleet’s fuel comsumption.
- To develop our capabilities in logistics simulation and optimization. We use open and private source Python packages to identify optimal execution methods by taking into account fleet capacity, weather conditions and the potential for unforeseen events. This is a co-development with our R&D, Dredging and Offshore Energy colleagues.
- To develop new tools and improve Python packages used by the team and in close collaboration with your colleagues in the business.
- To create web apps and dashboards to guide operational and department teams with their project activities by combining data streams, algorithms, and visualizations.
We will guide and coach you to work in our development toolchain and the Boskalis business, for you to quickly:
- Design and create fast and scalable APIs for colleagues in the business
- Identify new automation and data-driven solutions for the company.
- Be able to enter a project team with a good skillset and experience to figure out their needs and independently work on solutions.
- Be a good source of knowledge for colleagues of other departments. Be able to educate, motivate and inspire data solutions.
You can make your mark as junior data engineer if you have:
- An MSc (or BSc) degree in engineering, econometrics, mathematics, or computer science.
- A proactive attitude will really help you integrate within the team and company. And very important is an drive for curiosity and learning.
- Experience with analysis and visualization of geospatial and timeseries data, modelling, and simulation techniques, using mostly Python.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, PySpark or Databricks is not a must but a pre.
- A good command of written and spoken English.
What you can expect
- A dynamic environment: A job where you can make an impact, in an earth-moving company, as part of a diverse, international team of experts.
- Rewarding conditions: A competitive salary and much more, including holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 31 days (based on a full-time contract), a non-contributory pension scheme, collective schemes such as company health insurance and travel allowance.
- Career development: Plenty of opportunities to realize your full potential. Challenge yourself with (online) courses in our Boskalis academy.
- The Boskalis campus: Experience the unique Boskalis vibe at our Papendrecht site, complete with restaurants, sports fields, and a wharf where our vessels dock. We offer a state-of-the-art auditorium, brainstorming rooms, experience center for client meetings, and a barista corner where you can connect with colleagues.
- Young Boskalis: Are you under 36? Come and join Young Boskalis! Have fun and join in social and sports activities ranging from pub quizzes to yoga, bootcamps and an annual sailing boat race. Networking and knowledge sharing are a vital part of Young Boskalis as well.
- Your team: You will be part of small, mostly young and diverse team of 10 data engineers, software developers and domain architects.
- Where you will work: For office-based roles, in consultation with your manager and your team, you work partly at home and partly in the office.
- Full/part-time job: Depending on what you prefer the position is full-time (40) or part-time (32 hours a week)
- Next steps: Apply easily by completing the online application form. Interviews are held online or in the office. Once it’s clear we’re a good match, we’ll make you an offer – and look forward to welcoming you to the company.
Want to know more?
We’ll be happy to answer your questions about the position of function. Please contact contact Rosanne Boer, Senior Corporate Recruiter via [email protected]
Interested? Please apply before 29th of september 2023 by filling in your details and by uploading your cover letter and CV on our careers site.
Disclaimer for recruitment and selection agencies
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general, we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.