Staff Data Scientist, Cash App Compliance
Sep 03, 2023
San Francisco, CA, United States
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
The Data Scientist will join the Cash App Compliance Business Analytics team - chartered to partner with our business stakeholders to enable the sustainable growth of Cash App. You will become an expert in and an advocate for the compliance perspective on existing and new product risks, and you will be able to communicate their impact on compliance operations and costs. As Cash App grows, we need to stay ahead of compliance risk and unwanted activity on the platform - you will be critical to this effort by owning the analysis, investigation, and metrics. You will partner with product and compliance teams to identify and measure new and existing areas of unwanted behavior in order to inform controls and compliance monitoring.
- Perform deep dive analysis into different customer segments and/or products to identify pockets of compliance risk
- Perform statistical analysis and testing to measure the effectiveness & impact of existing and future controls
- Own executive-level reporting and metrics to measure risk and bad activity on the platform over time
- Build data models to enable reporting on bad activity
- Uncover relevant insights on topics affecting compliance, including: new risks, compliance operating effectiveness, risk tolerance, product launches and usage, important performance and risk indicators
- Harness raw data to help partners understand the impact of new regulation, policies, or environmental changes to our compliance program and the Cash App platform
- Collaborate with partners from engineering to customer experience to inform strategic builds of essential compliance program elements
- Communicate insights to cross-functional partners and influence teams to take action based on your recommendations
- 8+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6+ years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 3+ years experience
- Expert level abilities in SQL and data analysis/visualization tools (i.e. Tableau, Looker)
- Proficiency in scripting and data analysis programming languages, such as Python or R
- Deep experience using data to solve complex, ambiguous problems
- Vision to define problems and manage projects in a fast-paced, evolving organization
- Track record of bringing data to life for any audience through written and verbal communication and data visualization.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $155,600 - USD $190,200
Zone C: USD $147,200 - USD $180,000
Zone D: USD $138,900 - USD $169,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page****_._
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.