Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
As an engineer on the Data Streaming Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining data streaming infrastructure vital to the continued growth of Block. You will collaborate with teams across Block to build data streaming infrastructure, automations, integrations, client libraries, monitor and maintain the health of the data streaming infrastructure, and have an impact on the data ecosystem within Block.
- Build, enhance, and maintain our data streaming infrastructure (Kafka)
- Work with infrastructure, platform and application teams to build and improve our data streaming infrastructure and downstream integrations
- Be self-driven in identifying and documenting feature gaps, and designing and implementing solutions to them
- Help build, modernize, and maintain services and toolings to enable customer within Block to provision/manage their own data streaming infrastructure
- Monitor and build additional stability capabilities on infrastructure and client libraries to ensure SLAs are met with internal teams
- Background in data infrastructure or backend software development, preferably both!
- Experience working with Kafka, Terraform, CI/CD toolings
- Experience in Python or Java (preferably both), including backend services and integration and automation workflows
- Experience with cloud environments, preferably AWS
- Bonus: Experience with workflow platforms, such as Prefect.
- Bonus: Experience with Databricks / Spark
Technologies we use and teach:
- SQL, Python, Java
- Kafka and Confluent platform
- Kubernetes, Terraform
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page****_._
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.