Senior/Staff Machine Learning Engineer, Financial Crimes
Sep 03, 2023
San Francisco, CA, United States
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The Financial Crimes Technology Data team at Cash App finds and reports financial crimes activity on Cash App. We work globally with partners in business, engineering, counsel and product to guarantee we are providing a safe user experience for our customers while minimizing or eliminating bad activity on our platform.
We are leveraging Machine Learning as an integral part of our toolkit to fulfill our mission. As Cash App scales, we are monitoring billions of dollars in transactions across traditional payment and blockchain networks. We uncover and put an end to money laundering, fraud, and illegal activities before they impact our users. We are looking for senior and staff MLEs that can integrate vertically into the ML sub-team and be focused on building/enhancing tools, libraries, frameworks, developer environments, etc. for ML modeling workflows.
This is an IC role, but the Staff level has additional leadership responsibilities that include envisioning, owning, and driving strategic roadmaps & priorities to completion by collaborating with cross functional stakeholders. The role may have the opportunity to progress into a people manager role in the future.
- Design and build services and tooling that support our ML and Data Science sub-teams
- Be the MLOps lead and facilitate modelers on the team by unblocking access to the infrastructure/tools necessary for development & production work
- Develop prototypes and partner with ML modelers to encourage adoption of new tools and technologies
- Proactively identify new opportunities and future needs of our ML teams
- Lead by example by applying ML and engineering best practices
- Stay on top of changing ML infrastructure and libraries at Block and advocate/educate the team about new developments by sharing resources, demos and PoCs
- Join a new, small, and growing team and have a significant impact on influencing team culture and direction
- 4-6+ years of combined Machine Learning and Engineering industry experience
- A graduate degree in computer science, data science, operations research, applied math, stats, physics, or a related technical field
- Familiarity with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development principles with a machine learning software development life-cycle orientation.
- Experience working with product, business, and engineering to prioritize, scope, design, and deploy ML models
- Familiarity with Python computing stack, MySQL, Snowflake, Airflow, Java/Go
- Hosted models for inference on public clouds like GCP, AWS and/or built micro-services to facilitate event based triggering, feature generation, model inference and downstream actioning.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page****_._
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.