Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Data Scientists on the Orders Analytics team are embedded within product teams and leverage engineering, analytics, statistics, and machine learning to empower data-driven decision making in product development. Data Scientists support Square’s mission of economic empowerment, by using data to build understanding and empathy with our customers, enabling us to build a remarkable product experience.
- Partner with the product stakeholders to identify, prioritize, and answer the most important questions where analytics will have a material impact and produce actionable insights
- Develop tools & resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- Apply a diverse set of tactics such as statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning; discerning where simple analytics solutions (e.g. a quick visualization) are preferable to complex solutions (e.g. machine learning).
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders in verbal, visual, and written media
- Contribute to the data strategy of the platform and influence stakeholders to make well-informed architecture and design decisions that affect data at Square
- 3+ years of product-focused data science experience or equivalent
- Fluency in SQL
- Experience performing data analysis and machine learning using Python or R
- Experience using statistics to inform decision making
- Ability to understand complex business and data systems; versatility and willingness to learn new technologies on the job
- A degree (B.S., M.S., PhD.) in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- Experience with a BI tool such as Looker or Tableau
- Experience with data warehouse design, development and best practices
Technologies we use and teach:
- SQL (Snowflake)
- Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Machine Learning (e.g. regression, ensemble methods, neural networks, etc.)
- Statistics (Bayesian methods, experimental design, causal inference)
- Google Cloud Platform: BigQuery, Dataflow, and Composer
- Airflow & Prefect for ETL
- Looker, Amplitude, & Tableau for data visualization
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page****_._
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.